Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 F-350 6.0L 4x4 SRW with 225,000 miles

I went to start the truck this morning and after about 30 seconds of idle, it slowly died. Attempt #2 it slowly turns (as if it has a low battery) but won't catch. Attempt #3, everything seems normal with the key partially turned but as soon as I turn the key the rest of the way the dashboard lights up like a Christmas display. Every light begins to flicker on and off and the needles on the gauges bounce around. Still turns slowly but won't start.

Link to a video of a start attempt:

Now for some context. I'm not sure what is relevant and what is a red herring.

-Before starting it today I replaced the fuel filter (frame, not engine bay). Nothing remarkable about it, normal quick and easy job. Some fuel spilled out, as usual, and I'm sure some got on the wires running through the frame but again, nothing particularly unusual. (I did let the truck sit for about 6 hours to dry out and the crazy dash lights still happened).

-The truck has been harder to start the last few weeks. I've been attributing it to a recent relocation to New England, where the temps are about 20 degrees colder at night than where I was.

Since I just moved I don't have anything more than a wrench set (most everything I own is still on a moving truck on its way to me). Trying to do what I can before having to tow it to the stealership. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
That video looked like dead batteries to me. Check, or have someone load test the batteries first off. If they are good, then you can move on to checking cables and grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
11,815 Posts
Voltage is only part of the equation when it comes to batteries and yours are low anyway. A good 12v battery should actually read about 13v. But even at 13v, if the amperage isn't there it's no bueno.

·
Registered
138 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. PLUS, I recently found out, a lot of the stuff in the dash actually runs through the wiper relay and fuse. My truck had a ghost and turned out that is what it was. Not suggesting that is your issue, but it was mine. I had my radio come on without the key, third brake light blinking... all kinds of funky stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts