Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a squeel in the A/C pulley. Do I need to install a complete new rebuilt air compresser or can the pulley be installed seperately? Where can I find instructions on how to do it? Thanks, Broke and old.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does it squeel all the time or just when the AC is on? If it is all the time you need a new bearing in the clutch. I have done it, not too hard.

Take off belt. Remove small bolt in the center of the clutch. This holds the outer clutch disc on to the shaft. There are shims (tiny washers) inside of it where it goes over the splines. Don't loose them, they set up the air gap on the clutch. Now remove the snap ring retaining the bearing on the front of the compressor. Pull off pulley / bearing assy. DO NOT HAMMER ON ANYTHING, if you get rough the a/c compressor seal will start leaking. Press out the old bearing. It is not hard to get at as good parts store, don't have the # handy. Press in the new bearing, slip the pully assembly back on. Be sure the snap ring is fully seated (so your pulley doesn't fly off later) It is ok to tap gently with a screwdriver and hammer to be sure snap ring is seated. Put the outer clutch back on paying attention to the shims. tighten bolt. If air gap is pretty wide, take a shim out. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts