Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you replace a serpentine belt on an '05 F250 6.0 from beginning to end, to include all parts that need to be removed to support easily accessing the tensioner pulley?

·
Registered
420 Posts
no disassembly required. There is a tensioner lock, take a look for it and you'll find it. Just grab the belt below the alternator and give it a big pull while pushing in the tensioner lock.

I didn't think it was possible until I saw MChan's discussion of it, and I gave it a try. After that it is just a matter of pulling out the old belt and rerouting the new one. Its pretty tight quarters, but it can be done without removing any parts (other than the belt) :)

The other option is to find a really low profile ratchet or breaker that can engage the square slot in the tensioner and rotate it by hand. The clearance is very limited, but if you have some flat steel and 1/2" (I think) bar stock and a welder shouldn't take too much to make up a nice little tool. An example can be found at Ford PowerStroke 6.0 Serpentine Belt Alternator Tensioner Tool. (I have no affiliation with this website, just something I saw - and I am not suggesting you infringe on this guys idea or tool if it were indeed patented or otherwise protected;)

MikeB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks MikeB for the information. I did see MChan's post about installing a new serpentine belt, I just felt that on the 6.0 there must have been something more complicated, because getting out there and looking at it, you immediately start thinking, 'okay, what do i have to remove to access the tensioner pulley?' But I quickly found out, the answer is 'nothing.'

I have a 1/2" driver, but couldn't find my breaker bar lying around anywhere. So I went to the parts store and rented a serpentine belt tool, seemed like a sweet deal, but it broke on me before I could apply any actual torque to it. About that time I remembered in the past I used the bar for my floor jack as a breaker bar. With a breaker bar and 1/2" driver I was able to quickly lock the tensioner in place, pull off the old belt, route the new belt through and prior to releasing the lock mechanism on the tensioner pulley, I double checked that the belt was sitting properly on all pulleys first.

Sinner6.0, your homemade tool is obviously more robust than the rental tool I had gotten from a local parts store, and I like how the driver on the end is rotated in such a fashion that it would easily work well with the set-up and limited space that these trucks have.

I appreciate all your time, and I hope others find this beneficial.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sinner,

Is the drive a 1/2 square? I may just make one myself...

MikeB

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought a extendable ratchet from harbor freight to give me the leverage. Changing the serpentines on a dual alternator system is a PITA. It helped to unbolt the radiator and tilt it out of the way.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Yeah 1/2" square stock. I cut a piece off about 1 inch long and welded it to a flat piece of bar stock, 1 1/4" wide, 1/4" thick. I made two, both are about 2 feet in length

·
Registered
505 Posts
man if you can get someone to pull the belt so you can lock the kickstand its easy as pie. then when you install the belt, make sure its on all the pulleys properly and then grab belt below alternator and pull, you will hear the kickstand release and then slowly let belt down.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sinner - 1/4" thick bar stock...?

Hope you don't break it ;)

MikeB

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
haha now that you mention something I had to go double check. it's 3/8" thick ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts