Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new injector o rings. I finally got it started and it was smoking blue smoke for a little while and running rough but I took it down the road and it seemed to clear up. Is there something that I did wrong or is this the norm. Please help me out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
After replacing the injectors there will be some air in the high pressure oil rail that has to be ran out. If it stays cleared up you should be good. If the smoke stays a copper seal may have fallen off or came off when installing and went in sideways or something and is letting fuel in past the tip.

·
Registered
219 Posts
did you drain the oil out of the head rails before you pulled the injectors? and did you flush the oil out of the cylinder before you put them back in? as you pull the injector it opens up the oil supply hole and drains a little oil into the cylinder. if you dont flush it out then you would get the symptons that you explained.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I drained the oil rail and some did run down into the cylinder and I tried to get it out the best that I could by using suction and removing the glow plugs and turning the motor over. After taking it down the road for a while it cleared up and has not done it again. I do know that my idle has improved dramatically. The old injector o rings were deteriorating and when I was pulling the old ones off they actually fell apart. I hope that this straightens up my idling problem. Do the seals have break in period or once they are in that is it. I appreciate the responses.

·
Registered
219 Posts
no there is no breakin time on o-rings. the little blue smoke was just probably excess oil in the cylinder. nothing to worry about, unless it does it again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drove it around a couple of more times and no more blue smoke. I cant believe how much better that this truck runs. I appreciate all of the input and information that this site has.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No biggie, Welcome to the .ORG. Browse around, there is alot of good info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts