Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, getting my Black Maxx and delete pipes installed tomorrow. Yea Yea I know, I am having someone else install them. I would love to do it myself, I just don't have time. Anyway I am taking a short trip all in the 74mph range what tunes should I run for mpg? What trans tune??? Hot300??? Guide me fellow compression ignition junkies!!!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
The tune to run is the tune thats suits your driving habits. Some get better on the higher HP settings, and some on the lower. Because you have the shift on the fly try the lowest to the highest.If you run the same road daily it should be easy to do. I don't expect you will get much in the beginning, because you will be having to much fun, enjoying the new HP.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well guys, getting my Black Maxx and delete pipes installed tomorrow. Yea Yea I know, I am having someone else install them. I would love to do it myself, I just don't have time. Anyway I am taking a short trip all in the 74mph range what tunes should I run for mpg? What trans tune??? Hot300??? Guide me fellow compression ignition junkies!!!
I can understand having somebody do the exhaust work for you, but dont let anybody plug your H&S in. Its too easy, and you need to know it inside and out b/c you will be doing some updates someday....like when you want to load up the hot damn tunes or one of the 6 different shift options. Besides, there really isnt anything to "install".....you just plug that little m-F*er into your OBD port, find your power, and go.

·
Banned
24 Posts
The concensus is probably something like..

The Higher HP ranges somehow makes for a slight MPG Gain.
The trade off is Running the engine with all High parameters 24/7.
The Ideal For DD seems to be the 125-225 range with firm shifting.

H&S has charts to relate your style to a particular tune package. I think they do fairly well describing the nitty gritty at their web site. But there is always room for improvement because its a pretty complex set of particulars that we are dealing with .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a lot of smoke!!! I have the "Hot Damm" tune and it is very impressive, but seems like an awful lot of smoke in all the settings out of the hole, is this normal? I have it on no power and it burps pretty good. I understand the no power setting is still a 50hp tune.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lie-o-meter is reading 22.1, I will hand calculate when I stop for fuel.

·
Premium Member
8,819 Posts
I know our tunes up through the 210 are pretty clean. The 150 and 175 tunes that cycle the EGR are a little dirty if you hammer it, but the EGR off tunes are pretty much smokeless all the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hand calculated it came out to 18.4. When I got home I installed the easy tune and am much happier with that. Nice crisp power and not much smoke. Now if I take it to the track, or hook it to a sled, the data card is sitting there loaded and ready to go:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
That is a lot of smoke!!! I have the "Hot Damm" tune and it is very impressive, but seems like an awful lot of smoke in all the settings out of the hole, is this normal? I have it on no power and it burps pretty good. I understand the no power setting is still a 50hp tune.

There is a little burp of smoke from roll on, but go find yourself a tuned cummins for a little perspective.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Hey it's a diesel. Untill the turbos spool up there will be some smoke. Enjoy your new motor

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hand calculated it came out to 18.4. When I got home I installed the easy tune and am much happier with that. Nice crisp power and not much smoke. Now if I take it to the track, or hook it to a sled, the data card is sitting there loaded and ready to go:)

Was this 18.4 straight highway miles or did you have some in town miles on there too? I am just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have the HD 300 with the s2m transmission tune and I am not seeing numbers like this. I tried the s1m and the s1l but didn't like how high the rpm's were at 40-45 mph. It just seems to me that the lower the rpm's, the better the mpg's. Maybe I am wrong. Please let me know about your mpg's with the easy tunes, I may try them next.
Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
The concensus is probably something like..

The Higher HP ranges somehow makes for a slight MPG Gain.
The trade off is Running the engine with all High parameters 24/7.
The Ideal For DD seems to be the 125-225 range with firm shifting.

H&S has charts to relate your style to a particular tune package. I think they do fairly well describing the nitty gritty at their web site. But there is always room for improvement because its a pretty complex set of particulars that we are dealing with .
Where can I find these charts on their website? I have looked but can not seem to find them.:doh:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Was this 18.4 straight highway miles or did you have some in town miles on there too? I am just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have the HD 300 with the s2m transmission tune and I am not seeing numbers like this. I tried the s1m and the s1l but didn't like how high the rpm's were at 40-45 mph. It just seems to me that the lower the rpm's, the better the mpg's. Maybe I am wrong. Please let me know about your mpg's with the easy tunes, I may try them next.
Thanks
Doug
18.4........im just not buying it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Filled up with fuel in Mason City Iowa, jumped on the interstate and set the cruise at 69 mph. Kicked the cruise off for Cedar Falls and stopped to take a leak. Jumped back on the interstate and again set the cruise at 69. Once headed south to Cedar Rapids bumped the cruise to 73. Stopped in Wallcot to get a Redbull. Set cruise again at 58 when I hit 280 Going around the quad cities, jumped off the 280 and took 150 south to Alpha IL at 56mph. Loaded 800lbs of corn head parts and headed for home. Got back to Waterloo and filled up, drove home topped it off. 510 miles / 28 gallons = 18mpg
Hot Damm tune on no power or mild the entire time. Schedule one, med aggressive on the tranny. Did not roll smoke at any time, mileage was the goal for this trip. Don't hate the player, hate the game:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts