Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having my oil cooler replaced and my egr delete installed. found me an fellow aggie off texags.com thats a ford service master diesel tech thats gonna do the work tomorrow on his time for cheap.

got my parts together im pretty sure

oil cooler kit (with screen and gaskets)
intake manifold gasket
egr delete
coolant filter
updated turbo oil drain
blue FPR spring kit

the plan is to drain the coolant and run some distilled water through. the coolant was flushed in june when i had ac work done and is still clear. if this seems like enough let me know otherwise i can plan to do a more detailed flush of the system.

other than that ill be replaceing the oil lost now and doing complete oil change with in a few weeks and will be replacing the coolant with ELC coolant.

Suggestions? otherwise gonna try and get pics and ready to be able to drive the truck more than short trips again. :icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
If you are planning on replacing the coolant, NOW is the time to flush, previous to the repair.
Post repair, you could be dislodging all the junk in the cooling system, which could get caught up in your brand new oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Planning the flush prior but im commenting on how intensive should it be or what signs could point to needing very extensive flush rather than a simple one with just some distilled water run through for a little bit.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
If you are switching types of coolant you should absolutely do the chemical flushes and get as much crud/crap/gunk/slime out of the system before dropping in the new oil cooler.
A distilled water flush will NOT be enough if you are going to the ELC.

(Ford Gold and the ELC coolants are very different types)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I tell if I have ford gold or elc. I'm not 100% which one the guy put in when I had ac system done. Could having gold and getting elc put in with no flush caused the clogged cooler?

Can restore be bought locally? If I need to I can get some tonight or tomorrow but I plan to drain the radiator and driver side of the block tonight and start doing distilled flush. I called the guy doing my install and he first suggested just doing ford gold

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drained the radiator and driver side of the block tonight. Didn't have time to mess with the passenger side. Will do that tomorrow am.

Heres what came out. (bugs and dirt was in the bucket).

Would that be gold or elc? If it's elc I know gold was in there when it was purchased. Also if it's elc do I stay elc or what? Need help on this one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's neither Gold nor ELC. It's standard green coolant, not formulated for diesel engines.

Flush the devil out of that motor, backflush the heater core and the radiator, and anything else you can. Then do the restore and the restore plus flushes. You should be in the area of 50 gallons of recovered flush contents when you are done.

If you shortcut anything at this point, you will be doing it again soon. Install a coolant filter when you get the cooler swap done. You can buy a kit from one of the vendors or build your own from napa parts. Whichever way, get one.

Good luck,

Herman

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where can I get restore on a saturday? I know I can get vc9 at ford but can't find a place open for restore. Can I blame the green coolant on the clogged cooler? I'm draining the first flush of distiller water now and will post pics of it in a few.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drain of the first flush. Looks like I'll be doing a few more of these

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can blame ford and intl for the clogged oil cooler. It's really not up to the task it was designed for. Looks like there is no debris in your flush, so hopefully your failing oil cooler filtered all of the contamination/sediment out.

Cummins dealership will have the restore. Ours in Kansas City is open on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looked up cummins here amd theyre closed on weekends.

Also ive been draining about 3.5-4.5 gallons. The flush PDF I read says it should hold 7 gallons?

·
Registered
78 Posts
When i did my last flush, I replaced the block plugs with Fumoto valves (F108N with o-rings instead of fiber washers) on both sides. Saves a lot of time flushing the block, especially the passenger side, and lets you do the drain without bathing yourself in hot coolant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was getting about 4/5 per flush. That's why you do it repeatedly, the block retains a lot. Keep at it, it took me about 22 hours the last time I did mine. I ran around getting parts for about 6 of those hours, and spent untold hours trying to get the oil cooler coolant outlet open to back flush the oil cooler. Never was successful there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, the restore is for silicant goo casued by the Ford Gold coolant, which it appears was not in your truck anyway. Use the hot water and simple green in huge amounts to get the oil contamination out, then some VC=9 for rust scale and corrosion. In this case it looks like the restore might not be an absloute necessity.

Maybe try a Dodge dealer since they sell cummins motors. I would still do the restore if you can find some.

I read somewhere not to leave any chemical flush in the block more than three hours.

Herman

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Ford service areas are open on Saturdays, and will have the VC-9. You need 2 quarts.

That is correct, herman, do not leave those chemicals in the block for extended periods of time. They are highly corrosive. The VC-9 is designed to dissolve rust scale. It is pretty "nasty."

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it all done today. flushed it some more and then moved onto the install. installed the oil drain, oil cooler w screen, egr delete, thermostat, icp valve, fuel pressure regulator spring, and coolant filter.

went fairly well and im very pleased. temps on the drive home were never about 11* delta and averaged around 8-9*

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Supplies

Carnage

manifold and egr cooler

Reman FCIM dated feb 2011

old oil cooler

dirty cover

clean passages

dirty oil cooler valley

clean

going back together

Random ones.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
got it all done today. flushed it some more and then moved onto the install. installed the oil drain, oil cooler w screen, egr delete, thermostat, icp valve, fuel pressure regulator spring, and coolant filter.

went fairly well and im very pleased. temps on the drive home were never about 11* delta and averaged around 8-9*
Just curious, how long did the entire procedure take, from drive in time till drive out? Also, is that high a delta considered acceptable? Not knocking it, just wondering. Mine is 3-5 degrees most times, so maybe as things age or get higher miles on them, they naturally increase? Just wondering. Oh, and great pics, thanks for taking the time to take them, and to post them. Most appreciated!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was there for 5 hrs including a trip to ford bout 40 minutes and not including the flushes I did.

My temps were when I was going about 75-80 and the fact they never got too far apart and never got too hot is what I wanted.

For me to do it it would have taken about 2 days since I dont have the experience this guy does with these motors and this job.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts