Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Hello Folks,

I spent the past few days installing a mobile Ham radio rig into the truck. I documented my effort briefly for anyone that needs some help down the road.

Wow that takes me back! My grandfather is a big Ham Guy, he built his own radios, the tubes were amazing.

I never stuck with it, wish I had at times. Hats off for your install and dedication to the craft.

·
Just a Husband and Dad
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that takes me back! My grandfather is a big Ham Guy, he built his own radios, the tubes were amazing.

I never stuck with it, wish I had at times. Hats off for your install and dedication to the craft.
Thank you! It is a hobby in transition. I am a dad of 44. The younger generation is getting geeky with it with new gadgets made out of Rasperry Pi's. There is the older group of folks that have new gadgets. They still make tube powered gear! Some of the best amps have tubes and produce the best sound.

Where I live in NC there is a lot of 'repeater' activity. I am also part of the NC Auxcomm which is a volunteer arm of Homeland Security/FEMA for the cases of emergency. Such as hurricanes, ice storms, etc. Hams have helped folks stranded during pretty much every hurricane that swings through the US.

Ultimately with my radio I wanted it as 'stealth' as possible on the truck. Some guys feel they need huge whip antennas. I did not want that. So far since putting it on it works extremely well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice job and great hobby! I'm a dad of 54 and my 13 yr. old son is into all kinds of geeky things but has no interest in my Ham hobby whatsoever! I'm pretty heavy into it too, have a shack at home, wire antennas, hexbeam, etc. Also in the f150 I have a Tarheel screwdriver antenna, Kenwood 480HX, etc. Not super stealthy, but it's not ridiculous looking either. I've talked everywhere imaginable, even Australia and New Zealand from the truck! Even with all that, he says, "oh, that's nice".

Great job on the install, you'll have great fun with it and hopefully help some folks out too.

Howard, W1HBO

Reactions: auburnalum

·
Registered
119 Posts
Awesome install.

I have the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual and have read it front to back several times but being a dad to a 4 and 2 year old find that time is very limited. One day I would like to get my licence but right now just need about 48 hours in a day to get everything done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome install.

I have the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual and have read it front to back several times but being a dad to a 4 and 2 year old find that time is very limited. One day I would like to get my licence but right now just need about 48 hours in a day to get everything done.
The Technician's license really is a piece of cake, very easy to pass. I'd suggest one of the many free phone apps to study from. They have the complete list from the pool of questions and it helps a lot. The Technician's license is mostly very basic common sense, you could pass it easily.

·
Just a Husband and Dad
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Technician's license really is a piece of cake, very easy to pass. I'd suggest one of the many free phone apps to study from. They have the complete list from the pool of questions and it helps a lot. The Technician's license is mostly very basic common sense, you could pass it easily.
Yes its tough to get time to spend on our own hobbies. I have a seven year old and work about 80 hours a week. What happened was I broke my food a few years back. I had to slow down for a few weeks and determined to spend it getting my Ham license. The Tech license is really easy and the hobby does work into a "dad's" schedule. I have gone all the way to achieve my Extra license and glad I have done it.

Putting the mobile rig in my truck was a very long term plan that I finally was able to execute on. I am glad I did, and glad I have spent the time taking my time to learn more. There is all sorts of cool tech in the hobby with digital, and always fun stuff talking on HF around the world. I have been able to speak to a guy from Australia the other week to the Scientist stationed in Antarctica.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Very cool! I am 41 and my son of 11 got his as well last year with me. Happy to be in the Ham world.

Thanks for sharing your installation. Gives me some ideas.

Shawn - KC3KKF

·
Just a Husband and Dad
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool! I am 41 and my son of 11 got his as well last year with me. Happy to be in the Ham world.

Thanks for sharing your installation. Gives me some ideas.

Shawn - KC3KKF
And to update on the gear. I am still happy with it all. The Comet SBB-1 antenna was my biggest concern, but it works very very well. Although not mounted on a flat plane like the roof, it still works better than I would have hoped.

Great lookin' ride by the way!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Is this HAM Radio like my Grandfather had and operated in the HF Band (something like 2-25MHZ)? If that's true could you string a dipole antenna if in the field to get some distance. I remember getting 1200 miles off a 20 watt HF signal with a ground radio. Many have gotten much further, but 1000 miles was the practical limit. Could be interested in HAM, but not the repeater portion. More the long haul HF.

·
Just a Husband and Dad
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this HAM Radio like my Grandfather had and operated in the HF Band (something like 2-25MHZ)? If that's true could you string a dipole antenna if in the field to get some distance. I remember getting 1200 miles off a 20 watt HF signal with a ground radio. Many have gotten much further, but 1000 miles was the practical limit. Could be interested in HAM, but not the repeater portion. More the long haul HF.
Yes. This is the same HAM license. There are three levels. Tech, General and Extra. I am and Extra. Tech has some HF access and General has most. I go hiking with my son and use a wire dipole with and a rig that only uses 15W. I do have a bigger 100W rig at home. With that I have spoken as far as Australia and even the Scientists stationed in Antarctica. :surprise:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts