Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home this evening and I got on it to get into traffic, when all of the sudden I lost all power. I feels like a "lope" or like its "missing." The service engine light is also on. I just had one of the injectors replace and i am wondering if I have lost another one or even more than one. Any other ideas of what it could be, before I take it in and have to spend lots of $.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was driving home this evening and I got on it to get into traffic, when all of the sudden I lost all power. I feels like a "lope" or like its "missing." The service engine light is also on. I just had one of the injectors replace and i am wondering if I have lost another one or even more than one. Any other ideas of what it could be, before I take it in and have to spend lots of $.
I have 3 bad injectors in my truck and the service engine soon light has never came on. It won't start on cold mornings but once i plug it in it will and after about 10 minutes the miss clears up and it runs fine. IMO you don't have an injector problem. If you are worried about the injector's, take it to a shop (not the dealership) and have them scanned. I have a shop that can scan my truck and tell me exactly what injector is bad for like $56.00. What part of Texas are you in?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
If your SES light came on then i bet it's a UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness) because that will throw a code where injectors will not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If your SES light came on then i bet it's a UVCH (Under Valve Cover Harness) because that will throw a code where injectors will not.

Weird. My driver side was burnt but I didn't have any warning lights come on. Maybe it was working properly but just a little burned up:dunno: I replaced it anyway.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well I have only had mine come unplugged once. The entire drivers side bank was dead, sounded like crap, idled lopey, drove like crap, NO power, obviously. The code was word-for-word "Multiple IDM Codes Detected" ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The service engine light did come on and is still on. Is there a way to check the UVCH without taking the valve covers off? Am I understanding right that the SES light won't come on if the injector is bad? if that is the true then I would think it would be the UVCH. I am in San Antonio by the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A Suggestion

I had a similar experience myself. No engine light but the truck started acting like it was not firing on a couple of cylinders. Took it to the dealer, said I had two injectors out and wanted 1600 to replace them. I did it myself with the help of this forum for a total of 350 dollars, it now runs like a champ. I've since learned that I can take my truck to the local autopart's store (Autozone) and they'll read my codes for free! The dealer charged me 73 bucks for the same service. Call around, maybe someone will do it for free in your area also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The service engine light did come on and is still on. Is there a way to check the UVCH without taking the valve covers off? Am I understanding right that the SES light won't come on if the injector is bad? if that is the true then I would think it would be the UVCH. I am in San Antonio by the way.
Yes you have to take the valve cover off because it is actually the valve cover gasket that has the plug. After removing the stuff in the way, you can do it in 10 -15 minutes. If it is not unplugged, unplug it and check to see if the plug is burnt. This is a common problem and will cause your truck to run like s**t!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Yes you have to take the valve cover off because it is actually the valve cover gasket that has the plug. After removing the stuff in the way, you can do it in 10 -15 minutes. If it is not unplugged, unplug it and check to see if the plug is burnt. This is a common problem and will cause your truck to run like s**t!
He's got it. What will cause a miss/lope like you describe is loss of compression - no lights, injectors dead - no light, ICP sensor - not sure on light but will cause power increase, UVCH - turns on light.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Taking the valve covers off is the hardest part of the whole job!
No kidding, after I get all the piping off and get to working on removing the valve covers I can swap all 4 injectors in less than an hour. There is nothing to removing the valve covers.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
No kidding, after I get all the piping off and get to working on removing the valve covers I can swap all 4 injectors in less than an hour. There is nothing to removing the valve covers.
Except the back bolts.The b!tchez! lol!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah...changing out the injectors was a breeze. Everything else was what took so long and those back bolts...thayz sumpin else. I didn't tighten my intercooler tubes back tight enough, those babies will blow themselves off in a second when thirty miles from home and no tools on hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input, I am going to run it by autozone today and get it scanned. I decided that if i need to replace an injector I will just do it myself. Any recommendations on where to get the injectors? I don't want to get them off ebay, I would rather buy from someone in the forum, that just seems to be the most reliable way to know I am getting good parts.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Autozone has the scanner for diesels? Well they don't scan vehicles here anymore but I'm surprised to even hear that they have the tool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not positive on that but thats what someone posted earlier in this tread. I will have to check to see if my local autozone does it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Autozone has the scanner for diesels? Well they don't scan vehicles here anymore but I'm surprised to even hear that they have the tool.
All 96 and newer vehicles should use an ODB 2 connector you can take it to just about any autoshop or dealer now a days. Or if in San Diego, let me know. I just bought one today.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yeah that it has the plug is one thing it's the software that it uses is another. I know the scanner I have wont read the diesel truck but it will read the gas one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
orng1 is correct, autozone could plug it in, but it couldn't read anything. I guess I will just have to get a scanner. I need to get one anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts