Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause the tips to blow off th injector. This truck is a repete afender, it goes through injectors like it's the cool thing to do. I'll post a pic when I get only computer next. Any ideas, would having excess air in the fuel system have something to do with it

·
Registered
135 Posts
What injectors are you running?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Wierd. Subscribed for pictures of said failing injectors.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truck has stock injectors in it.

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
How in the heck do you blow tips off?
Also, 7.3 or the 6.4 in the sig?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
buddies truck...99 7.3

look close at the tip

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
did you ever check fuel pressure or fuel quality?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll ask. Its my biddies truck. The truck has since sold but the new owner is having the same problem. He put a new injector control module in and thought he fixed the problem. Low and be hold the truck is parked again. I have don't have a part in fixing it. I'm only asking out of curiosity.

I'm thinking thats it's fuel related more then anything.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
low fuel pressure or low fuel volume I would suspect could hammer an injector apart internally.

you also hear of water in the fuel causing this too

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
low fuel pressure or low fuel volume I would suspect could hammer an injector apart internally.

you also hear of water in the fuel causing this too
That's kind of what I was thinking.. I'll run it by the original owner and see if he's looked into that

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Kyle installed a mechanical fuel pressure guage. Pressure was always within Ford specs. Even at wot it maintained 60 or 70 psi. As a last ditch effort I wanted Kyle to let me put a new pump in but they were like $400. And he just didn't want to throw any more $$$ at it. Also an airdog would prob be a great idea. But that's just chasing repairs with parts and not diagnosing."

the response to my question about fuel. kyle is the second owner and the guy who wrote this is the original owner, he was the one doing all the wrenching on the truck he knows what was or wasnt done...could it be anything else

·
Registered
407 Posts
it is most likely water in the fuel, if there is a little bit of water that gets into the injector when the plunger comes down and trys to push the water/fuel through the tip into the cylinder the pressure raises too high and therefore blows the tip right off. happened to my ould 7.3 as well. i know it doesnt really make sense because if can push fuel through the tip but not water

·
Registered
143 Posts
The reason entrained water blows injector tips off is two-fold

1: The water is denser than fuel, and believe it or not, it doesn't WANT to get blown through those holes.

2: In a running diesel, where cylinder temps start in the neighbourhood of 500 degrees, the water turns to steam, and the rapid expansion has to go somewhere. Generally speaking, the rapid expansion when water turns directly to superheated steam, results in an explosion within the injector tip. This causes "catastrophic deconstruction" of some reasonably expensive parts.

I would dig deep into the fuel quality end of things at this point.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts