Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just finished installing stage 1s in my truck. My question is to those that have done an injector swap on an OBS: How long did it take (cranking) to get the truck fired up after the swap?
I've cranked it a few times and it has not lit off yet, currently I'm charging the battery's before I go try some more.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow so I'm still trying to get it going, It's 3:20am!!

I've done 3-4 tries at starting it. I crank for about 30sec then let the starter cool for a min and repeat till my batteries start to drain (which is about 10min of this process). Then I let my charger charge back up the batteries (on the 10amp setting) for about 2-2.5 hrs before I try again.

Does this seem normal!? I've gone over my truck to make sure I did not forget anything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6:10am update:
Still no start, Batteries are charging again and I think I'm going sleep for a little bit before I try again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a long time of cranking, just to double check some things, you purged the cylinders correct? Everything hooked up tight all harnesses and everything?
Yep, I double checked everything.

I got the injectors from a guy on another forum:

"I have a full set of stage 1 rosewood injectors. They have been sitting for a little over a year so if it was me I would rebuild them."

So I sent him this pm:
"Anything wrong with them? What needs Rebuilt on them?"

His reply:
"Nope nothing wrong with them but like I said in the post if it were me I would rebuild them. They have about 40k to 50k on them and then on top of that have been sitting in the garage a little over a year. I would just do the external and internal O rings, if it were me."

When I got the Injectors they looked great, I put new O-rings on them and started the install on thurs morning.

All I did was replace the injectors and glow plugs. I purged the cylinders BEFORE I installed the glow plugs, I followed the instructions in "OBS Injector R&R" thread, but no start. :doh:

I'm starting to worry if I got a BAD set of Injectors. :confused:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It just keep cranking. I didn't see any rust on the outside of them. I also SOAKED them in oil before install.

About 10-15 sec of cranking I get a CEL.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, I'm getting fuel pressure. The truck ran fine before I pulled the injectors out for these stage 1s. Is there anyway I can test the injectors?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Though if it were a bad injector you would think it might be one or two, NOT all eight!

I'm going to go check some more things, I'll update with any progress.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
the video worked on my computer n hes still havin issues, jus cranks n cranks with no start, he did video the exhaust n there was a slight haze of smoke that came out when he was crankin, couldn't tell what color though due to bad sun glare
yep, since that video I haven't messed with it. It just cranks and cranks, doesn't even try to start. The Haze is light enough that I can't tell what color it is. I'm also working by myself so I can't have someone else crank while I look.

Could the internals of the injectors have rust from sitting a year? Would sitting cause them to stop working? I don't understand how ALL eight injectors can be bad. You would think it would at least TRY to start if only a couple were bad!?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
have you hooked up a scanner to buzz test the injectors, verified that you have high pressure oil, made sure all electrical connections are good, double checked IPR harness connection? we cant help you if you dont tell us what you've tried... just cranking w/o any diagnosis is wasting time. even if an injector or two for some reason is bad it should still atleast attempt to fire, i dont see all 8 being bad.
Ok here's more update. Checked electrical connectors, checked fuses, pulled one of the fuel lines coming out of the bowl, hooked up my obd2 scanner I pulled these codes: p0344, p0603, p1212. My scanner doesn't have a buzz test option, though I don't know how to do that either. I did put my ear on a screw driver on the valve cover and it sounds like the injectors are "buzzing" on cranking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Oh also after doing some reading....

Prior to my Original post I had noticed I forgot to put the IPR valve wire back on. I put the wire on BEFORE I made my original post. Now when I was going through my wires YESTERDAY I noticed that the wire didn't seem like it was all the way on. So i pulled it off and inspected it and put it back on.

...I have no idea if it would cause me any problems or not, I just thought I would share that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Could my CPS sensor gone bad?

Also I forgot to add, The HPOP reservoir is full of oil.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well just to be safe I changed the CPS. I replaced the glow plugs at the same time I did the injector swap.

I had a friend cranking the engine while I listen under the hood. i can hear "CLICKING" noises from under the valve cover. Tomorrow I'll take the valve covers off and see what I find.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Take the valve covers off and see if there is any oil coming out of the spouts on the injectors while cranking.
Took the valve covers off. No Oil coming out of the spouts. Also I held my hand over the injectors and i did not FEEL them clicking!?

If you cant figure it out, i will help you out if you can get it to my shop north of Salina. Atleast that way you wouldnt be throwing random parts at it trying to fix the problem. I have a good scanner and plenty of spare parts. i think i even have a set of Inj O rings and Ipr o ring kits laying around, if not i can have them in 2 days.
I would love to take you up on your offer, but I have no way of getting the truck there. :doh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Took the valve covers off. No Oil coming out of the spouts. Also I held my hand over the injectors and i did not FEEL them clicking!?
What does this mean?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Video update:
YouTube - injector swap issues pt2

After i made this video i let my batteries charge and went back out to try it again. After cranking for a few min it started to act like it was going to fire up!!! Oil started spraying out of the injectors and getting all over my engine bay. I kept at it and it would kick but not fully start up, so I had to quit and let my batts charge again.

During letting the batteries charge I decided to take that time to put the valve covers and what not back on. So I let the batt charge and when I went to go try again my starter now just "CLICKS" So I think I fried my starter. I just pulled it off i'm going to have it checked.

So do you think with some more cranking it will start up!?!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
UPDATE!

I got my new starter in today, then I refilled the HPOP. Went to start it, and on the second try I got it FIRED UP!!!

So I let it warm up while I went inside and got cleaned up. Then I went for a drive and drove it for 70 miles (mostly highway). After about 40 miles I started to get on it, it feels like the truck is down a cyl or two and a few seconds after I go WOT the CEL comes on (code 1211)

The truck still runs like crap now after 70miles of driving and still gets a CEL maybe 2sec after I go WOT.

I parked it and shut it off, 5min after I shut it off I went to try to restart it and it doesn't want to start!?!

....I haven't messed with it since trying to restart.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
...just went out to look at it again. I pulled the plug out of the HPOP it was full, so I replaced it then I tried to start it and it fired right up!?!

It still runs like it's down a cyl or two, and set off the CEL @ WOT.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.