Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just finished installing stage 1s in my truck. My question is to those that have done an injector swap on an OBS: How long did it take (cranking) to get the truck fired up after the swap?
I've cranked it a few times and it has not lit off yet, currently I'm charging the battery's before I go try some more.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Its gonna take a while, every time Ive done injectors its been 10-15 minutes of cranking and letting the starter rest then cranking again, keep goin itll start

·
Registered
882 Posts
yea just keep at it, but remember to give the starter a few breaks. It takes a little while but it will start back up, once you get it started let it run for a little bit of time or it will be hard to get started again.

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
I agree on both of the above statements... they can be a bear to get started after the swap. I had to recharge my batteries also during the process.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I agree with all three! It takes awhile and I kept my Bats charged and also left it running a good 15-30 mins while I cleaned up and put tools away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow so I'm still trying to get it going, It's 3:20am!!

I've done 3-4 tries at starting it. I crank for about 30sec then let the starter cool for a min and repeat till my batteries start to drain (which is about 10min of this process). Then I let my charger charge back up the batteries (on the 10amp setting) for about 2-2.5 hrs before I try again.

Does this seem normal!? I've gone over my truck to make sure I did not forget anything.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Thats a long time of cranking, just to double check some things, you purged the cylinders correct? Everything hooked up tight all harnesses and everything?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
6:10am update:
Still no start, Batteries are charging again and I think I'm going sleep for a little bit before I try again.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats a long time of cranking, just to double check some things, you purged the cylinders correct? Everything hooked up tight all harnesses and everything?
Yep, I double checked everything.

I got the injectors from a guy on another forum:

"I have a full set of stage 1 rosewood injectors. They have been sitting for a little over a year so if it was me I would rebuild them."

So I sent him this pm:
"Anything wrong with them? What needs Rebuilt on them?"

His reply:
"Nope nothing wrong with them but like I said in the post if it were me I would rebuild them. They have about 40k to 50k on them and then on top of that have been sitting in the garage a little over a year. I would just do the external and internal O rings, if it were me."

When I got the Injectors they looked great, I put new O-rings on them and started the install on thurs morning.

All I did was replace the injectors and glow plugs. I purged the cylinders BEFORE I installed the glow plugs, I followed the instructions in "OBS Injector R&R" thread, but no start. :doh:

I'm starting to worry if I got a BAD set of Injectors. :confused:

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Yep, I double checked everything.

I got the injectors from a guy on another forum:

"I have a full set of stage 1 rosewood injectors. They have been sitting for a little over a year so if it was me I would rebuild them."

So I sent him this pm:
"Anything wrong with them? What needs Rebuilt on them?"

His reply:
"Nope nothing wrong with them but like I said in the post if it were me I would rebuild them. They have about 40k to 50k on them and then on top of that have been sitting in the garage a little over a year. I would just do the external and internal O rings, if it were me."

When I got the Injectors they looked great, I put new O-rings on them and started the install on thurs morning.

All I did was replace the injectors and glow plugs. I purged the cylinders BEFORE I installed the glow plugs, I followed the instructions in "OBS Injector R&R" thread, but no start. :doh:

I'm starting to worry if I got a BAD set of Injectors. :confused:

Oh ok just wanted to double check, that write up you followed is the one I did so sounds like you did everything I did.

Did it look like there was any rust on them or anything, one year is a while for them to sit and they have a decent amount of miles. When you crank does it even begin to start chuggin and want to start or just keeps cranking?

Are you getting a CEL at all while cranking

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It just keep cranking. I didn't see any rust on the outside of them. I also SOAKED them in oil before install.

About 10-15 sec of cranking I get a CEL.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
It just keep cranking. I didn't see any rust on them. I also SOAKED them in oil before install.

About 10-15 sec of cranking I get a CEL.
If they wont get going by now something is definitely up and you shouldnt be throwing a CEL either. Can you test to see if your getting fuel pressure while cranking

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep, I'm getting fuel pressure. The truck ran fine before I pulled the injectors out for these stage 1s. Is there anyway I can test the injectors?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
yep, I'm getting fuel pressure. The truck ran fine before I pulled the injectors out for these stage 1s. Is there anyway I can test the injectors?
You can run a buzz test on them but you need to have the diagnostic tool for it, Im not sure if you can check them in any way on AE if you have it but I think you can

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Though if it were a bad injector you would think it might be one or two, NOT all eight!

I'm going to go check some more things, I'll update with any progress.

·
Registered
392 Posts
you can do a buzz test with a scanner. Also you need to throw a scanner or mech gauge and make sure your getting high pressure oil. If you dont have a scanner or mech gauge pull the plug in the hpop res and make sure there's oil in there, if not top it off. also you can pull a hpo rail plug or your icp sensor and fill the oil rail in each head. i just dont think your cranking long enough each time before your batteries die, try hooking jumper cables up and cranking for a minute or so before letting the starter cool.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If they wont get going by now something is definitely up and you shouldnt be throwing a CEL either. Can you test to see if your getting fuel pressure while cranking
that is incorrect. the computer will throw a code because it does not see any hpo pressure when it should be seeing pressure. i believe it'll throw a 1211 and/ or a 1212 iirc....

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
you can do a buzz test with a scanner. Also you need to throw a scanner or mech gauge and make sure your getting high pressure oil. If you dont have a scanner or mech gauge pull the plug in the hpop res and make sure there's oil in there, if not top it off. also you can pull a hpo rail plug or your icp sensor and fill the oil rail in each head. i just dont think your cranking long enough each time before your batteries die, try hooking jumper cables up and cranking for a minute or so before letting the starter cool.
This right here is the man to listen too:thumb:

Thats a good point on the cranking, how long are you cranking for before giving the starter a rest?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
that is incorrect. the computer will throw a code because it does not see any hpo pressure when it should be seeing pressure. i believe it'll throw a 1211 and/ or a 1212 iirc....
ah ok thanks for the correction, I was trying to remember if I saw a CEL after I did injectors but its been a while since I did my last set so I wasnt sure but thank you for correcting that

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.