Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel shop i have used in the past is quoting me 2375 out the door parts/labor for a set of motorcraft reman injectors. Does this seem high or about right?

The truck is a 06 pretty much stock except for being deleted and a straight pipe exhaust. On cold start ups it acts like it has a bad miss and is real jerky and low on power till it gets warmed up. Im assuming it stiction, question is should I try to find the bad injector or just replace all 8?

The truck has also started putting out blue smoke, not noticeable while your driving it, but when you stop and then pull out again it will put out a plume of blue smoke. Or after you have drove it some and come to a stop, after sitting at a idle for 30 seconds or so it will blue smoke for 30 seconds and then clear up. Had a few people tell me that the turbo seals are shot.

Could the injector stiction be the cause of the blue smoke?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Does that include new standpipes and dummy plugs? If not, they should be added. I did valve cover gaskets too, though they aren't strictly necessary. Labor varies greatly depending on location so I can't comment on that. I paid $1,600 before tax at the local Ford dealer about a year ago for a full set for my '07. I did the work myself and don't think I'd pay someone $700 to do it, but I have the tools/shop/skill (though it was my first time doing injectors).

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
I read alot on that and rev x but so read that it is just a temporary band-aid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
By all means, if you wanna spend $2300 before spending $45...we will not stand in your way. :D

-jokester

Reactions: jcm3 and bismic

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,257 Posts
lol - well said jokester!

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had horrible stiction especially in colder weather. I ran a bottle of hot shot through mine. Hot shot was OK, most certainly made a difference.
Next I started using Triax 5-40 oil, holy s#it what a difference. Truck runs much smoother now.
But hey, you can by a set of injectors for $1800 instead. I personally just change my oil at 5k for $150 and time.

Edited for proper chemical.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use Rotella T6 and that probably helped me get good life out of mine (at about 184,000 miles now), but I have been having some starting issues the last few months as well.

I just tried Archoil 9100 ($45 for a 16 oz bottle, which is what you need for a PowerStroke and 15 quarts), and so far it's made a big starting difference. Today it was unseasonably cold (39 outside at around 9:00am, got a big cold snap from Canada I guess), and if it was that cold it would usually really sputter. It started like it was warm, which really surprised me.

I'll keep an eye on it, but hoping it can help me go another six months or so on the current injectors, maybe longer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have had good luck with the Archoil 9100 as well. It is well worth a try for an oil change before you replace all of the injectors. I also run the Arch oil winter fuel treatment up here in Colorado during the winter just in case. Also just a heads up for anyone running AR9100 and doing oil sampling, be sure and note that you are running AR9100 when you turn in your lab slip. The additive will give a real high potassium and boron reading and can be mistaken for coolant issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts