Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for a little detail on the injector precycle. What exactly is going on during this and why does it need to?

Is the valve cycling to fill with oil or is it cycling fuel into the cylinders for an easier start?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was thinking it cycles them to get them ready to fire instead of just asking them to fire from the get go. I would imagine it helps on cold starts.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just looking for a little detail on the injector precycle. What exactly is going on during this and why does it need to?

Is the valve cycling to fill with oil or is it cycling fuel into the cylinders for an easier start?
It's not going to fill oil cause the oil pump is not running.
And it is not putting in fuel since there is no oil pressure to open those injectors.

I believe it is just opening and closing the spool valve on the injector to "warm" it up a little bit

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
You should let the cycle finish. The latest FICM calibration will start cycling them slowly then gradually build up speed to warm up the little bit of oil that is still remaining in the spool valve.

The glow plugs still remain on for a little while after the wait to start light goes out, you are not hurting anything by waiting for the injector pre-cycle to finish.

The real inductive heat occurs after the engine is running. I am not 100% sure on what happens here either

I've noticed mine generally stop cycling before the glow plug light turns off.
You do not have an inductive heat strategy then. I rolled back my ficm strategy to the original no-heat and this is what it does too. The latest calibration will rattle those injectors for 4-6 seconds on a cold start.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine sounds more like fast ticking than buzzing. It does this for about the length of time the glow plug light is on.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Mine sounds more like fast ticking than buzzing. It does this for about the length of time the glow plug light is on.
You don't have the inductive heat strategy either. Good for power and fuel mileage. Bad if you live in a cold climate and have older injectors.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truck gets great mileage. About 20 highway at a steady 70 mph.

So what exactly is the difference in the stratagies? They sound different too apparently.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I here the " rattling " and what I believe to be the fuel pump " pump up " then there's
a sound like something purging , after that my glow plug light goes out and I then
start the truck .

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Its actuating that solenoid ( hence the buzzing we hear ) that spool valve doesnt move much at all so all the noise we hear, id like to see how much its moving.
The spool valves move .017"

·
Registered
308 Posts
You should let the cycle finish. The latest FICM calibration will start cycling them slowly then gradually build up speed to warm up the little bit of oil that is still remaining in the spool valve.

The glow plugs still remain on for a little while after the wait to start light goes out, you are not hurting anything by waiting for the injector pre-cycle to finish.

The real inductive heat occurs after the engine is running. I am not 100% sure on what happens here either

You do not have an inductive heat strategy then. I rolled back my ficm strategy to the original no-heat and this is what it does too. The latest calibration will rattle those injectors for 4-6 seconds on a cold start.
I've got the mild inductive strategy, not the full-bore one. My FICM has the Atlas 40 tune which includes the mild inductive strategy and I also run the SRL Extreme SCT Tune. Truck starts perfect in the cold without being plugged in, maybe cranks for about 3 seconds and fires right up with minimal diesel knock. I would say that it usually lasts about the cycle of the glow plug light which is generally 4-5 seconds for me.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Question here , I also run PHP atlas 40 and SRL+ , do all ficm tuners have this ? My truck
starts with a few cranks usually then "crack bang" it's running . After much experimenting
I settled on A40 and SRL+ for my daily driving and overall starting .
Also , what is the difference between SRL+ and SRL X ?

·
Registered
308 Posts
SRL Extreme has more aggressive shifting and TC lockup along with maybe a bit more power. I know what you mean by the "crack bang" and it's running. Mine does the same. It's angry sounding, but it starts so nice.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't have the inductive heat strategy either. Good for power and fuel mileage. Bad if you live in a cold climate and have older injectors.
So how do these different strategies effect how it performs when it's at operating temp?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Mine does this too, however I've noticed sometimes it does nothing. Wondering if something is going bad and needs replaced?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Do you know exactly what strategy changes between inductive and non-inductive?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts