Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 03 6.0 f450 with 225000 on it. it has a hard start, when it starts it stumbles and has a hard time building rpm. and oh yeah a sl of white smoke, which i asume is unburnt diesel fuel. ae says 1500 psi icp, regulater at 14% idle, 70 wot. need to know where to look or if it sounds like anything anyone has heard of. passed the balloon test, so tried another test (turning over with no ignition, looking for bubbles in the fuel bowl). nada:dunno::tard:.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes 48 volts drops to 47 while starting or punching the throttle. i have auto engenuity, maybe somthing else i can check.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Does it smoke all the time? Smell like diesel? If you have an injector that is sticking open or maybe a injector tip that is slightly cracked it can cause overfueling... Careful because I have personally seen several 03 model years with holes in the pistons because of cracked injector tips...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a2elvis, yes all the time, stinging stinking white smoke. thats what i was thinking but if it was cracked or stuck open, wouldn't you get combustion back in the fuel supply
diablo yes checked hot & cold, left it on ae menu, never changed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it smells like diesel, it worsens with throttle response. i've taken out the egr and looked in the manifold, black ashey no oil, not positive but comfortable saying it is diesel. really i need to know if a cracked injector or stuck injector would put combustion in the fuel rail. if not how in the h377 do you get overfueling to where it smokes constantly. also rpm resonse is slow like it has to build rpm like a flooding 4stroke

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Not sure about the combustion pressure in the fuel system.... Dont think that is applicable... I would unplug the injectors one at a time to see when the smoke stops that will tell you which injector to go after. But if you have one that is breaking down the rest are to follow suit..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
used actuation mode in auto enginuity scanner and turned injecters off one by one for 5 min apeice no change, even when throttling accelerator. slow response, have to build rpm, increased rpm leads to more smoke. combustion in the fuel system would make sense because if combustion can get in a cracked tip without ignition then fuel when being injected at high psi could be overfueling but, turning the injector off should stop overfueling. in my mind, its like one injector is flooding (only been working on diesel for 2 years, used to gasolina!) forgot to mention that when i got it from the wrecker it was hydrolocked. bumped starter slowly released and turned over

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ran one but not sure what to look for? i know spikes on the graph, but when would a non-contributing cylinder spike? i have 6 6.0's and 3 7.3's, all cont. test look the same, picking up off idle looks the same, return to idle looks the same. all pass buzz test, but that is purely electrical. i'm thinking more mechanical. oh yea only code is low icp. intermittent if you clear it. idles rough as hell but drives only with slighly less performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn easy fix. this is a catering fleet truck and someone filled it with gasoline. i asked that question to someone i trusted and he swore no one fueled it. lesson learned

·
Registered
139 Posts
Good to hear you figured it out.I don't think that's my problem then,I had a half a tank of fuel when I left and drove about 40 miles before it started acting up and since then I ran at least another tank through it and it hasn't improved at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts