Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
having another problem with my 04 350 with the 6.0, where do i start? Within the last five years of owning this truck i have replaced head gasket,egr cooler, egr valve, oil cooler, ficm, and fuel pump. most recently i had to locate a short in the wire harness that was shutting the truck down, and my blond girlfriend putting gas in the tank a few weeks ago. I cleaned out the tank and put in new filters, I don't think this would be the cause of the problem but you guys seem to know better than me.
On to the current problem, the other day on my way home about when the truck warmed up completely it started running rough. I can hear a tap from under the hood, and it started bucking when i was on the go pedal for more than about 5-10 seconds. when i let go it would clear up, get back on it and it would start acting up again. pulled over to try to figure out, didn't do any good, decided to try to get it home. the rest of the way home it did not buck, but still has a tap and when on it for 5-10 seconds going up hill it has a hollow popping sound as if a spark plug was missing on a gas engine.
In the driveway still has a tap, when i put a strain on the motor (ie. turn the wheel or hit the brake pedal) the tap gets worse. when I get on the pedal with trans in park it blows black smoke and wants to shake and vibrate like it is down a cylinder.
does this sound like just a bad injector, or something a little more complex? Does the glow plugs thread in like a spark plug that may have backed out and losing compression? I'm at a lose and would appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Sounds like an injector tip broke off and in rattling in the cylinder. Not good, I wouldnt run it any more. Btw, just my opinion.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well just got my truck back from the dealer to have my codes read to find out which cylinder was down, and here is the list they gave me... p0284, p0299, p0407, p0480, p0488, p0528, p0620, p2269. Some of these codes may be from other existing problems I have not had a chance to fix yet, but they told me cylinder 1 and 8 had 10%leakage. They said it may be a head gasket, glow plug backed out or a rocker, but they would have to tear it apart to find out.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Do you know which style the rocker arms are from when you had it apart? Even a broken rocker wouldn't explain the loss of compression but I have seen where these heads have been milled (not by me)...milled too much, and/or not had the valve recession reset, and eventually, sometimes immediately, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 100 miles later, the pistons will hit the valves, causing damage obviously not only to the valves, and pistons (compression loss) but damage also to the rockers, and even the lifters.

It's wierd, I think maybe they'll run with the pistons ever so slightly kissing the valves for a while before it ever blows up, or hurts something...I've seen 6.0's that have run like that for hundreds of miles...maybe thousands. You'd think as soon as the lifters pumped up after a rebuild that if the valves were going to hit the pistons, it'd do so immediately, but it doesn't seem to be the case, perhaps over speeding the engine, and/or loose valve springs are to blame for the delayed carnage.

Anyway, I doubt yours is anything that catastrophic, probably not even related, but we do see them come in that way as cores sometimes. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i had the engine apart i called the dealer, they did not recommend having the heads milled. I did not do anything with the valves.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
When i had the engine apart i called the dealer, they did not recommend having the heads milled. I did not do anything with the valves.
Ughh.........you just partly answered your questions with your problems.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts