Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
I would like to hear your appreciated advice. I have here a 2003 F250 with a P0281. The only notice is
a very, very slight " shake " when accelerating in the lower gears.
fuel pressure is 60psi, cylinder balance is ok, contribution and click test passed, FICM 48,5V, relative compression test went not bad (see picture).
I'm not sure if it's really the injector. What else can I test?

Blue Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Tints and shades Parallel Office equipment

Thank you.

·
Registered
2005 F350 Lariat Crew
678 Posts
Good evening,
I would like to hear your appreciated advice. I have here a 2003 F250 with a P0281. The only notice is
a very, very slight " shake " when accelerating in the lower gears.
fuel pressure is 60psi, cylinder balance is ok, contribution and click test passed, FICM 48,5V, relative compression test went not bad (see picture).
I'm not sure if it's really the injector. What else can I test?

View attachment 778765
View attachment 778766

Thank you.
Maybe a bit of stiction? Does the shake get better when it heats up?

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Hartwig, from my view anything more than 2% relative compression is an issue. You either have multiple injectors loose, multiple glow plugs loose, or the gaskets are hurt on both sides. The cranking rpm is high, so I’d expect the values are accurate.

One could argue there could be valve or valve train issues, too. It needs a real compression test and a leak down test the way I see it.

A single injector issue, it’s not. The software is doing a good job of balancing the cylinder output at idle, it probably can’t keep up at the elevated load at acceleration.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
As this???? Injector Contribution/Balance

Rectangle Wood Automotive tire Font Parallel

The six ways I have tested:

Relative Compression Cold
Relative Compression Hot

Injector Balance Cold Compensated
Injector Balance Cold UnCompensated
Injector Balance Hot Compensated
Injector Balance Hot UnCompensated

I'm surprised the injector uncompensated would be unaffected by the relative compression values. But we might have a translation issue here. My German is long, long gone.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
No, your right. That's very well balanced uncompensated. I expected more based on the relative compression you had.

Now you have me very curious why the relative compression looks as it does.

I never recorded many of the IDS tests I did. This is one where stiction was an issue, the injectors could vary based on the warm up and rpm. On another day, injector 8 showed no issues. The relative compression test is shown from the next day, cold. Injector two on removal showed slight burned copper washer, so slight loss of compression. Hot relative compression were all at 100%.

The few 6.0s I have tested for relative compression I've never witnessed one as off as the one you show. And they are not from the same bank. What you eventually find will be interesting.

Maybe someone who has done many more IDS tests will have input.

Reactions: Hartwig

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
KINDA looks like cyls 3, 5, 7 are all dropping a bit uncompensated. If that's the case and you're gonna pull any of them on the odd bank, you might as well pull all 4 of them for inspection then re-oring & copper washer them.

Maybe I missed it, but are these OEM injectors? How long have they been in there?

I'm interested to see how this one ends up as well!

-jokester

EDIT 2,3,5,8 all share a FICM connector...coincidence?

BUM BUM BUUUUUUUMMMMM!!! :D

Reactions: mlgjellybean123

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
If you are talking about the video I posted, that was from 2016 and was dealt with long ago. One new injector and fixing the connector.

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
I can hear a 'thumping' when the camera was on the passenger side
May be worthwhile to move number 7 to a different hole and see if the problem also moves

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
At first I didn't hear it. But towards the end, yeah. I can hear it. It sounds like cast iron hitting something or vice versa.
More like the sound when a cam lobe or rocker starts to fail -- the valves do not open at the correct time and cause the thump sound -- you will hear this in either the intake or exhaust -- which the vid did not show very well

·
Premium Member
7,091 Posts
Thought of this too, but I would not call it a thump sound at the intake. Will do a video later...
Was hard to tell in the vid, and sound quality is sometimes not that good over the internet

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the truck runs completely clean except for the slight vibrations/slight shaking.
The truck was towed here with a supposed crank no start, I then also noticed trans converter damage. On the first start attempt it fired up but smoked a bit the first few seconds (you can see this at the very end of the actual uploading video). After changing the oil temp sensor the smoke was gone and only occurred once very lightly and briefly on a test drive, since then no smoke at all. However, I have also changed the engine oil and filled Archoil AR9100.

trans converter issue was:

the injectors run amazingly quiet on this 2003 (185k), on my own 2006 (65K stock miles) the typical ticking is much more pronounced (cold engine):

I am currently uploading the video.....will post it tommorow morning (here its 23.00 PM)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I find the thumping more pronounced on my own 6.0 than on this one, but I have no problems with my own engine.

here is the video (didn´t think the exhaust manifold leak at #7 hast to do with the P0281 issue):

1 - 20 of 27 Posts