Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut my foot in half in a tragic wakeboarding accident a month ago, so i am not walking or working but i decided i would send my truck to work and have someone else drive it so i could still make some money while i am laid up.

The truck has not been getting used much the last year, mostly short highway trips to town, no long hauls. But i did a major overhaul on it about a year ago as well, new 90 hp injectors, arp headstuds, tuner etc. The truck only has about 6000 miles on it since all the work,

So i sent the truck to work and the first thing it was going to do was drive 1500 miles to the work site, my truck only made it 600 miles before it died. My friend running the truck told me she just died out of no where and there was no problems till then.

My friend who is running the truck got it towed to a mechanics. The mechanic told me that my ficm is working, and my fuel and oil pressure are both there as well. The problem was the seal for the number 5 injector. He wants me to have the injector sent away to see if it is still good and he wants me to replace the o rings on the other 3 injectors on that bank. He says the reason for this is that when the injector seal fails it allows compression for that cylinder to get into the fuel system on that bank.

I'm not really buying his theory, i think he should just put the injector back in with a new seal and try firing the truck. I would love for some tech input on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m not a tech but I have had plenty of experience with fuel injectors on the 6.0. The first thing that stands out to me is that your truck should still run with just one bad injector, so I would suspect that you may have some other underlying problems with your truck. If it turns out that it's just the one injector that’s causing your problem, then I would let the mechanic replace the other O-rings. Once he is already in there replacing the one injector, it wouldn’t take him long to get to the O-rings on the other three. It shouldn’t cost you very much to have that done, just in case he’s right.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
if an injector is leaking combustion gas into the fuel system it will definitely cause the engine to shut off. it starves that bank of fuel and can damage the affected injectors

1 - 3 of 3 Posts