Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, jusy curious on yall’s opinion. I pulled the injectors to replace the injector cups. so i wanna clesn the tips of the injectors. any recommendations? & ima replace the orings jn the injectors too.

·
Registered
626 Posts
They'll just get dirty again first time you start it.
Use a green scotch Brite pad.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
There is no need to put new cups in unless one is leaking

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just gently scrapped the carbine off with a razor (very lightly)

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is no need to put new cups in unless one is leaking
Not to hi-jack, but im fixin to replace injectors on my big block, and was either going to try and rent or just buy the tools needed to change cups. Your sayin there is no need? How would you know? Anti feeeze getting into cylinder or something....240k miles on my 7.3

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
You don't fix what isn't broke
injector cups are not a wear item, so unless one fails which is rare, it is a waste of time, money, and resources

I have changed out cups at the customers insistence or because some nimrod damaged the seal surface from scratching around in there
or kept running an engine with a loose injector and damaged the seal surface
but never from a failure of the cup itself

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I'm the nimrod... I'm referring to the carbon on the tip of the injectors maybe worthless but makes me feel better
.... Not the cups... And yes only mess with them if the is an issue and if you pull the injectors go ahead and replace the o-rings glow plugs etc if they've been in for a good while

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
Was not specifically mentioning you -- dont take it so personal -- was meant to be more of a general statement

I have pulled wrenches professionally for 47 years now, and seen a lot -- have I seen it all, no
I am sure others on here have stories as well

Razor blade works ok for the chunky stuff, but use a brass brush to clean the tips
they are gonna get all smoked up soon as you start the engine anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts