Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From many people in this forum, I’ve learned several key differences between my 03 and 04 6.0 Powerstroke trucks. The inferred EBP (pcm calibration) that our 03 uses just seems to work better. No EBP tube/coupler/sensor to worry with cleaning as well as the resulting decrease in performance when it gets all gummed up. Yeah, I know. This is probably a bit ignorant of a statement because I’m not keen on the technical stuff behind all of this.

I’m wondering… is there a custom tune that might duplicate the inferred EBP strategy for our late 04?

Feel free to nerd out here… all super tech info is welcome.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,195 Posts
I really can't say how well your engine will run under all conditions with the EBP unplugged, but if you do unplug it, the PCM will know that and will control the engine on an infered value. Sometimes, if you have a bad EBP sensor, it will actually smooth out the operation to run with it unplugged.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I’m on it. I’m pulling the plug! Seriously though I wonder if a custom tune can match that of the inferred EBP strategy of the 03 with later calibration. If only there were Doctor for Fords. I don’t know if he exists.

·
Master Tech
505 Posts
There is a difference between the "Inferred EBP Calibration" and forcing the PCM into FMEM by unplugging the EBP sensor. If you have a truck programmed with the Inferred EBP calibration the sensor data is completely ignored... the sensor is there only for diagnostic purposes (with a scan tool) and is just going along for the ride. If you are running a calibration that requires EBP data, then any malfunction (including the owner disconnecting it) will result in failure mode operation... which will result in poor performance.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, this is really ambiguous - explain!
In as few words as possible… our 03 performs “better” than our 04 with significantly better fuel mileage (I know… the 04 is a 4wd Supercab while the 03 is a 2wd crew cab). I watch VGT through acceleration and climbing grades to find that the two behave very differently. The vgt percentage on the 04 remains lower (30-50%) through the power curve and sometimes drops to 15% when decelerating (safe to say when the tube/coupler/sensor becomes blocked). The 03 makes a bit more power and I see that VGT% remains in the 50-60% range white driving on flat roads or up and down hills. No degradation of performance over time with the 03 as there is with the 04 as the tube becomes clogged.

I am wondering if a tune “author” can construct something for the 04 that uses the algorithm (not sure if that’s the word) that mimics the 03 inferred EBP to see if I can achieve better performance/efficiency. About the best way my non-Powerstroke Master Tech mind can convey my point.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@FordDoctor or @bismic to the best of your knowledge, do you know the reason for the 03/early 04 inferred EBP strategy vs actual sensor data with later model 6.0’s? I combed the web and couldn’t find clear and/or reliable information.

·
10,195 Posts
This won't answer all your questions, but may answer a few.

2003/04 Computer Programming Recall 06E17:
Truck built before 9-29-03 are being recalled to have the computer reprogrammed. The reason for this recall is to correct fuel injection timing during cold operation, EGR valve control, lack of power, check engine light illumination (P02263 or P0299), hard starting and rough running concerns related to Exhaust BackPressure sensor corrosion. Other symptoms not listed in this recall, but which could occur, would be excessive smoke, turbo control and surging at idle or cruise. The new update eliminates the EBP sensor input to the computer. The exhaust backpressure will now be inferred/calculated using other sensor signals. Trucks should be reprogrammed using versions 41.8 or 42.1 or higher.
After this reprogramming, the truck should be test driven, the computer checked for a codes and the codes cleared (even if none are present), the key cycled on for five seconds, then turned off twice, then the engine started and allowed to idle for 5 minutes at operating temperature to allow the computer to relearn the EGR valve closed position value. This is to prevent erronious codes or driveability sysmptoms related to the EGR valve an turbo performance. Broadcast Messages 5452, 5529.
You should notice an increase in turbo cycling closed/whistling at idle and at stops. This is normal, and is to help keep the variable vanes from sticking.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I unplugged the EBP sensor for experimentation today and performance immediately suffered. It would accelerate somewhat ok under light throttle but the turbo would flutter when letting off. For now I’ll stay ahead of the cleaning until I can find a tune with some sort of inferred EBP.

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did find one (a new sensor) at the Ford dealer down the road at a cost of $150 with tax. Interesting thing here… I mentioned previously that I just replaced this sensor back in March of 2021. Looking back, I guess I was in a pinch and went with a “Motorcraft OEM sensor” from a “trusted Motorcraft reseller” on Amazon. 🫣Well, needless to say it is not a Motorcraft sensor that I paid around $66 for back in March 2021. I’m an idiot and should be smacked across the head. Here’s the link to this obviously not Motorcraft part: Motorcraft DPFE3 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Pressure Feedback Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001J5XD4A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WTBNZ53C4Y77MJVX15Z4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What led me down this path today was monitoring the EBP signal using FORSCAN while driving… which is what I should have done to avoid having this plague me for the last few months. I’m an idiot. It was clear as day when I started looking at live data.

The actual Motorcraft sensor installed today seems to have resolved drivability issues. I actually disconnected the batteries today to clean and spray protectant on terminals and replaced the sensor while they were disconnected. The first 15 miles or so were clunky (first drive cycle). After that, everything smoothed out… boost and vgt behavior is normal and fuel mileage started ticking back up. By the time I got back to the campground after 100 miles or so my fuel mileage was well above 17 mpg in the Edge monitor (yeah, I know…).

So, feel free to lambaste… I don’t usually order anything from Amazon but I did it in a pinch over a year ago without thinking. The tube and coupler were ordered from Pensacola Injection which is a great resource for me. I remember Amber asking me if I needed the sensor too… now I recall telling her no because I thought I got a better deal on Amazon. I’ll hook up the fifth wheel and complete a tow and report back…

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The saga continues… my KOEO today is EBP 22.3 MAP is 19.0 and BARO is 14.5. Not sure what is going on with this truck…

·
10,195 Posts
Could your MAP sensor hose (or manifold nipple) be plugged?

I assume that you are at an elevation close to sea level?

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Forscan crashed during that scan and some weird numbers were displayed… it wasn’t live data. Restarted the program and MAP/baro read 14.5 PSI while EBP was 14.9. Seems fine. Currently at 833 feet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts