Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to having the truck diagnosed with blown head gaskets, I thought I had tranny problems, not recognizing the 'limp mode' when towing. I took the truck to a friends shop and had the tranny serviced. He related there was two filters, one in the pan, the other a small element similiar to an small oil filter in size. He changed filters/fluid, the small filter was clogged (65,000 miles) and he stated it was limiting the oil supply.
Driving the truck away the shifts were crisper, my mpg prior to the service was an accepted/live with it 14-15 highway. I watched as my mpgs (dash readout) climbed to 17-18 highway use. Since then I have watched as combination driving has yielded about 1-2+ mpg increase over the before service mpg. I had always focused on engine/fuel mods as mpg improvement areas-
I am now considering changing out that 'lil' filter every other oill change.
Tranny knowledgable tech input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What year and trans is it. And where is this second filter located?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the filter is in a canister near the front of the bottom of the tranny on my 07.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
yup, under the RF. Cartridge type. I have to see what the book recomends for a change interval.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Worth looking into. Thanks for the heads up. For what it's worth, a decent rule of thumb is that the driveline "wastes" 20% of the engine power through friction, so yeah, it's quite easy to improve MPG (return it to stock really) through such mods

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
The external tranny filter should be changed every 15k miles...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It is a quick change also, does not require new fluid or anything!

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
anyone got a number or picture of where this is. cause in 230,000 miles i have never changed this. might be a reason my ranny is getting so hot lately.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
anyone got a number or picture of where this is. cause in 230,000 miles i have never changed this. might be a reason my ranny is getting so hot lately.
This is for the 5R110 Torqshift. The 4R100 doesn't have one unless you had one installed.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
that makes sense. guess i should look at the thread a little harder next time. haha. my bad.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
okay well i am going to change this for my roommate now haha who has a 6.0l so is there a part # or do i need to crawl under and read it or can i go in and find one at the parts store? thanks

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Here's the LINK to the filters. You will want the one for the 5R110 Torqshift for your buddy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts