Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question y'all. My wife was getting on to the highway just now and heard a load pop under the hood. Since we just had lunch together I told her to turn around and come to the office and I would look at it. When I popped the hood I could see that the plastic connector on the engine side of the line that runs from the inner cooler to the engine had blown apart. Should I worry if any of that plastic got into the intake there? I guess now I need to find me a new piece, any suggestions on a good brand? Thanks

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,097 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about plastic because that’s under positive pressure and it’s should blow out. I went went with this this one because I wanted and American made one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what I was figuring but thought it would be good to ask. The diesel shop down the road has 2 used ones I"m going to go look at after work. That way I can get home and then I will start hunting for aftermarket ones. I like the one that you linked I was also looking at the No Limit one. They are the same price.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Sort of a normal thing to have happen. Go aftermarket for better results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got a used parts at the local mechanic to get me by until I get an aftermarket one. But all of the after market ones seem to be on back order. Plus with my pay cut right now there isn't that much extra to get me something. But it will be first on my list as soon as i get the money.

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,097 Posts
Well I got a used parts at the local mechanic to get me by until I get an aftermarket one. But all of the after market ones seem to be on back order. Plus with my pay cut right now there isn't that much extra to get me something. But it will be first on my list as soon as i get the money.
Was the used one cheap enough to buy two used ones so you could throw the other in the truck? That way you’re never stranded again.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I think I paid $129 for a Ford OEM cold side intercooler tube, from the ford house when mine blew a few years ago. Aftermarket is more reliable with t bolts and aluminum yes, but the OEM part was so cheap in comparison that I'll roll the dice till next time. Going 4 years strong since last replacement. Mine blew pulling a 30,000 lb horse trailer up 9% at WOT.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Just saw this. May be an option if you can swing it now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shop only had the one use one and it was only $40. So I pulled off the top piece that I needed and saved the rest just in case. I will be getting a aftermarket one as soon as I can swing it. I I think that we got lucky that my wife was right by my work when it happened. I feel for HLBeef pulling a trailer and having it blow there would be no more pulling!

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
You can get an aftermarket one for about $150-200. I used Rudy’s about 3 years ago. I paid $169. Still perfect.
Note that there are two types: OEM style and one that eliminates the throttle body. You need tuning for the 2nd one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get an aftermarket one for about $150-200. I used Rudy’s about 3 years ago. I paid $169. Still perfect.
Note that there are two types: OEM style and one that eliminates the throttle body. You need tuning for the 2nd one.
I will look into these. I have noticed that there are the two different types. What are the benefits to getting the one that removes the throttle body? I'm not tuned yet but want to be so I'm just curious which way will be better to go. Thank you

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,097 Posts
I will look into these. I have noticed that there are the two different types. What are the benefits to getting the one that removes the throttle body? I'm not tuned yet but want to be so I'm just curious which way will be better to go. Thank you
The Rudy’s ones I’ve seen have been made overseas if that matters to you, hence the price difference. I’m glad he brought the throttle body delete up though because if you’re not tuned one without a throttle body will at the very least throw a code. I’ve been told the throttle body is for helping with cold starts. I don’t know the reason for ditching it, but I’ve seen no difference without mine, but it doesn’t get that cold here. Most delete tunes do away with the CEL if its unplugged though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok good to know. I'm not currently in a place were cold starts matter but we do like the mountain and I can see us being in cold weather. 2 years ago we were in Flagstaff, AZ for thanksgiving and it got down to 14 degrees. I need to do more research I guess I have a little of time I guess with my cheap fix. :)

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,097 Posts
Ok good to know. I'm not currently in a place were cold starts matter but we do like the mountain and I can see us being in cold weather. 2 years ago we were in Flagstaff, AZ for thanksgiving and it got down to 14 degrees. I need to do more research I guess I have a little of time I guess with my cheap fix. :)
For the record, we have had 5* days and the truck started just like it was 90* out even without the throttle body.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ordered Rudy's off of ebay for $140 with shipping as I recall. Fit was spot on.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts