Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 f250, lifted 6 inches with 38" tires. I am getting 8mpg. Thinking about getting a chip, tuner, something to get better mileage without lowering it or anything. It came with a edge performance chip. Should i go with a bully go, banks or Sct system? Any information will be helpful as i am new with diesels. Thank you

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i'm lifted 8" on 38x15.50 with MTW stg1 turbo, intake, mbrp 5" straight pipe turbo back, egr delete, and sct custom tuned "looney fuel" by Vivian. and i get 21-23mpg on the interstate!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Was that 8 mpg hhand figured and odometer corrected? Gears may help, 4.56 for 38", 4.88s if you tow. What is the looney fuel? My 04 on 35"s can get low 20s only in perfect conditions on a hypertech, or stock tune with 3 degrees extra timing advance, my PHP tunes get 17-19 on flat ground @70.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
yeah if your on stock gears change them out and do a custom tuned SCT. you can also use it to update your trucks computers for tire size and speed calibration. the updated tire size will help your trucks shift points

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
I have been battling this dilemma for 2 years and have given up lol. I still only get like 15-16 combined hand calculated, 6" lift 35" nittos and 20" rims. Lol it's not getting better for me I give up lol.

·
Registered
570 Posts
15-16 combined is not bad on 35"s, I have tried almost everything on the 6.0s that I own, owned, almost nothing made any measurable difference, except electronic tuning. Stock 235/85/16 pizza cutters and a hypertech did get some amazing mpgs between 60-65mph, but who has that king of patience, I want real world improvement. Dieselkleene helps on dinofuel, not as much on the unknown 5-20% bio blends around here.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Was that 8 mpg hhand figured and odometer corrected? Gears may help, 4.56 for 38", 4.88s if you tow. What is the looney fuel? My 04 on 35"s can get low 20s only in perfect conditions on a hypertech, or stock tune with 3 degrees extra timing advance, my PHP tunes get 17-19 on flat ground @70.
"looney fuel" is a new tune from vivian. I am only #16 with it right now. She had finished with her testing and is ready to offer it but hasn't had time to advertise it yet. I love the tune and with my mpg you can't argue why.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
You guys and your mpg make me laugh. Pay-to-play.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I'll probably catch flack here but that's ok. Unless all you do is city style driving, you will not get better MPG by simply swapping to a lower gear ratio set. Yes you will gain low end power and torque for pulling but the trade off will be higher rpms and therefore roughly the same fuel consumption or worse. Unless you need to tow or just want better accelertion, I would leave the stock gears in place or perhaps at most maybe swap to a set of 4.10s. Yes the fuel consumption will be more in stop and go traffic (i.e. city driving) but it should still be ok on the hwy because the truck will be running at a lower rpm. JMO of course.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Lol- buy mods = want to drive more aggressive(cant help it) = lower gas mpg!

So one can deduce - mods of all sorts decrease mpg! Lol

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Nate, that's about 1 less than my 6.0 got with 275/65/20's.

A regear will help out and bring you back close to the factory operating rpm's. That may help as to not be lugging the motor all the time. Understand that not all trucks are the same. Most average in the 15-17mpg range. hte cummins in now gets around 18 overall give or take 1 mpg because I drive slower than stink rises off of crap. But 38x15.50's is a damn huge load to turn over. I'd guess each corner is over 300lbs and is as aerodynamic as a barn.

·
Registered
430 Posts
right now on my 37s with 4.30 gears I'm getting 18 mpg

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
O I didn't do the mods to get better fuel mileage cause I realize it is an 8k lbs truck on 38's. But I just happen to get lucky and ended up with the fantastic mileage that I did.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have been wondering if my mpg gauge has been correct, 10" lift 37s. 10.9 mpg, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have been wondering if my mpg gauge has been correct, 10" lift 37s. 10.9 mpg, what do you guys think?
There is no way in he77 the gauge is correct. Hand calculation is the only way to go especially when you have bigger tires.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is no way in he77 the gauge is correct. Hand calculation is the only way to go especially when you have bigger tires.
For the better or worst?

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
For better. 32x3.14= 100.48.

37x 3.14=116.18.

116.18/100.48=1.156

So say your gauge says 10 mph

10x1.156= 11.56 mpg. Is the corrected mpg

The lie-o-meter is usually off though anyways. Hand calculate miles driven divide by gallons used and times by 1.156 to get the correct amount.

Sorry if this doesn't make centS I'm drunk.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts