Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have the steering gear box un-connected from the truck and just laying on the ground still attached to the tie rod. I can't get the pitman arm un-attached from the power steering gear box or the tie rod to save my life. I have tried WD-40, a ball joint seperator "pickling fork", a pitman arm puller "don't think it is the right size though", and a lot of beating. Please help, starting to get angry.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Heat heat heat heat. Lol
Seriously. Get a torch and heat up the outer portion of pitman arm where it connects to steering gear. Works for me every time.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a long day and night of heating, beating, and prying, I am starting to think that buying a new pitman arm and new tie rod is the way to go. Can't be more than $60 dollars and it has to be easier than another day of this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
WD40 isn't a penetrant (and a lousy lubricant). While I agree that heat is the right thing for this, if you choose to use a penetrant, use a penetrant. PB-Blaster or Kroil.

If it were still on the truck (always the better point at which to break loose things like the pitman arm or a tie rod ball joint), I'd say - LOOSEN (don't completely remove) the ball joint nut. Put the pickle fork in place and pry, and while prying (prob. need an assistant), whack the end of the pitman arm with a heavy hammer. That should knock the joint out of the arm. Then you can take the gearbox and arm to a shop for a divorce, or at worst you replace the arm.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the tie rod end seperated from the pitman arm. Pitman arm is still attached to the steering gear box though. I went ahead and put the new steering gear box in and ordered a new pitman arm. I figure buying a new one can't hurt the steering issue so why not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts