Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to locate a in. lbs torque wrench from any of the loaner places in town am i correct in that i can use a ft. lbs wrench and divide the req. in.lbs by 12 to get proper torque.Installing valve body and have read 100 in lbs on body and 10 in. lbs on pan. This would be roughly 8 ft.lbs on body and .8 ft lbs on pan? seems awfully not tight. Any input other than find a in. lbs wrench.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
You are correct about just dividing ft/lbs by 12. I would just go to Sears though if I was you. It never hurts to own a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a ft.lbs but rarely use it and hate to go drop 75 bucks on a in.lbs that will get used even less.Just checkin though those #'s seem awfully weak when converted. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
100 pound inch = 8.333 333 333 1 pound foot
10 pound inch = 0.833 333 333 31 pound foot

Your numbers are correct.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The pan is 10ft-lb

The valve body is 100in-lb.

Be very careful, most 1/2" torque wrenches only go down to 10ft-lb. There are 12in-lb per ft-lb.

·
Registered
258 Posts
be careful, if you are using a cork gasket 10 ft lbs will almost certainly be too much. It depends on if it has steel orings in it or raised areas on the pan to protect the gasket. If it is cork I would recommend closer to 60 in lb.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so do i need a new pan gasket I thought i Read on here it was a rubber re-usable gasket on the pan.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4 on that also everyone is saying tighten pan to torque on pan is 10 and was just looking at guzzles write -up and it says 120 which gives?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
120 in/lbs or 10 ft lbs depending on what type of wrench you have. You will find most writeups are in in/lbs. I just broke down and bought a nice in/lb torque wrench when i did mine:thumb:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
John Wood told me 100in-lb when he sent me a new VB. And since he is the one who built the trans, I am going with 100in-lb.

BTW, My ford manual says 90-110in-lb.

And if you have a cork gasket, get a new reusable gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts