Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a 100gal (i think) L tank that goes in my box but i was wondering how some of you guys are plumbing them into your system there is a chance that i will run some of that other colored diesel:thumb: but prolly not alot i will have a pump on the top because i will use it on occasion for filling the tractors on the farm but want it mainly to get alot longer life from fills plus if i go to wyoming fuel is usually 20cents cheaper???

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The kit is around $50 at Northern tool that includes the T-fitting and hose, etc... Or just do like me and use the pump on your tank when your on E

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea and i thought about that approach but like on long trips i didnt want to get out and fill it back up but i might just have to do that for now thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
There are several kit's that you can buy, most have a ball valve and a "T" fitting that goes in your filler tube. If it isn't vented right then you chance flowing over. But that is easily taken care of.
There are kits that are electrical (for alot more money) that will only pump so much and are controlled from in the cab.

If you use the ball valve just try not to forget that you opened it. I've lost several gallons that way.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guys i will have to figure something out

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The kit is around $50 at Northern tool that includes the T-fitting and hose, etc... Or just do like me and use the pump on your tank when your on E
The kit from northern tool is legal in all 50 states and Canada. CFR49 (code of federal regulations) is the governing document in the US for aux tanks, yes it is a US DOT regulation on gravity feed tanks and/or the alteration of the fuel feed system. You can not "alter the factory fuel system but you can add a second tank if it is completely tied in like a stock dual tank setup with recirculation and all that. Gravity feed is not altering the fuel system. A transfer tank can be set up for gravity feed if it has an anti spill device in case of a turn over like the Northern tool kit has.

I got my kit from the manufacturer that supplies them to Northern tool, RDS. I travel a lot over state lines and into canada so I had to make it fully legal or risk getting stopped at the border. Canada is rather tough on aux tanks going into the country I have learned, the hard way.

Do it right, is all I have to say. My tank is set up legal, I even had it inspected at the local scales so I knew I was good to go. Plus my tank can be removed in about 3 minutes for racing purposes.

There are pics in my webshots of my setup. Click on my truck in my sig and browes around, they are there.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well right now i will prolly just havethe pump on the top but how do you have it installed i was just going to put a strap around it

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I just bolted mine through the bed.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alrighty well i am not crazy about screwing holes on the bed but if im not mistaken there are 4 big bolts on the 4 corners of the bed maybe i will just rig up some kind of bracket and bolt them to that thanks again

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Been running gravity feed for about 8 years now on several differant PSD's... I never turn the valve off. Fuel fills to the top of the neck and stops.

·
Registered
323 Posts
so i have a 100gal (i think) L tank that goes in my box but i was wondering how some of you guys are plumbing them into your system there is a chance that i will run some of that other colored diesel:thumb: but prolly not alot i will have a pump on the top because i will use it on occasion for filling the tractors on the farm but want it mainly to get alot longer life from fills plus if i go to wyoming fuel is usually 20cents cheaper???
I wouldn't encourage using red diesel in your pickup...I don't know about where your from but here it's $4.38...regular diesel is $4.59....that's not much of a difference, somewhere from about $6 on a whole tank of fuel...plus...if you get caught here, it's $100 a gallon for the capacity of your fuel tank..I aint quite sure but I reckon my tank is somewhere around 32 gallons?...coming out to a $3,200 fine...plus that extra 100 gallon aux. tank on your truck...that'd be a pretty dang hefty fine:doh: ...we've got two 3,000 gal fuel tanks filled with farm diesel here on the farm and I used to just stop in and fill my truck up before i'd leave...until my one of my buddies got a $10,000 fine...I aint ran it in my truck since:nod: ...plus the worst part is it leaves a red film in your fuel system and takes a loooong time to get rid of even when your running straight green diesel...so, do yourself a favor and don't do it:thumb:

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Been running gravity feed for about 8 years now on several differant PSD's... I never turn the valve off. Fuel fills to the top of the neck and stops.

Mine leaks out of the top near the rear if I leave my valve on and it fills all the way up.

It sucks when you come out in the morning and there is a huge puddle of liquid gold(diesel) on the ground.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Mine leaks out of the top near the rear if I leave my valve on and it fills all the way up.

It sucks when you come out in the morning and there is a huge puddle of liquid gold(diesel) on the ground.

That happened on my 99 once, replaced the fuel cap and it never happened again.:thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts