Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to anyone with any input or info that can help.I purchased a 2011f250 diesel from texas.Iam from canada,the truck has an 8inch procomp lift,i did not know i was unable to bring a lifted vehicle into canada until i went to do a federal inspection.They deemed it inadmissable and want it exported back to the states(which is at least a12-14hr journey feom where i live).the RIV told me i shouldnt have got across the border.So now i have a truck being paid for that i cannot use at all.Also they told me it cant come back into canada even if its put back to stock.I am sooo stressed and have no idea what to do.My only options i can think of would be to get a lawyer and try to fight it,or sell or trade it in the states which i do not wanto do. Well thats my first threAd as a new member ....not a great one to start off with i know.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well welcome to say the least lol. That is a hell of a predicament you could always move to the states lol jk. Hmmm that's crazy u can't bring a truck just cause of a lift that is insane you may need to sell it bro.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was trying to dicipher the laws in brithish columbia and the only thing i could really find was that a max of 11cm or something was allowable, which does not sound right. You may be able to get it on off of the allowable headlight clearance, not sure though. You may be able to ask a lawyer this question and see what their answer is. Sorry to hear about this chitty deal man. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will a broker be able to bend the law tho is my worry.... I am waiting for a call back from one.... I just think its stupid how they let me cross the border no questions asked now there tellin me its illegal and my fault...... Doesnt make sense

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys And i spoke to an automotive place in BC and he said the truck will pass all required specs for bumpers and headlights....its just the dumb federal insp they wont pass me and without that i cant drive it.... Or even have it in canada

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im in canada now with it....but the riv on the phone told mwle they shouldnt have let me thru......how is that my fault ?????its redic! I think

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
U may have to just get it lowered in the states

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats what i also looked into.... But i have to wait 15 yrs now that the truck has came through altered...which is what the riv lady told me...... Im so stressed its crazy

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If he can't get it in what good is a broker going to do?
a good broken/law firm combo, who has years of experience getting vehicles into Canada CAN help. trust me, i know of lots that got in just in my city from the states, china,japan, etc. just gotta find someone who can pull strings:wink[3]:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i asked if i could put it back to stock then take it for a federal insp and then also my prov insp and they told me once the vehicle is altered it is not able to come back into canada for 15 years whether i put it back to stock here or there....so they pretty much said im screwed....thats y im thinking a lawyer might be my only hope as the border shouldnt have let me through at all as they are sayin this is the law.....and also my fault for not doing enough research on it....if i had of known i never would have purchased it..

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would call them back and ask under what act this is in and what section. This way you can actually see the law and see if it may be "misread" or something

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I imported mine I remember reading that lifted trucks are considered as being altered and that altered vehicles are inadmissible. I hope they make an exception for you. If not, hopefully you got a good enough deal that selling it to someone in the northern States is an option.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Trade it in on a new truck-you might lose some money, but not as much as not being able to use the truck.

Are any lifted vehicles legal in Canada? Can they cite the law you are breaking?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i do have paperwork about the law now.....see this is what had originally happened....i picked the truck up from the shipper on a fri evening.....went to drive through customs and they denied me for having the lift......spent the next day looking and calling everywhere to see who would take the lift out....then ran into a guy who was importing a vehicle that was inadmissable also.....told me the border i was at are power trippers....so drive to the next one closest....(scared and nervous out of my whits) i drove to the next one with the same intention to get denied...and after 5 mins in a lineup the officer said nice truck have a good trip.......so after getting through i thought it was all simple after that......then i go to get the federal insp like i was previously saying...and now the guy in canada here called riv and told them i have it lifted and they want it exported....and now this is where i stand.....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trade it in on a new truck-you might lose some money, but not as much as not being able to use the truck.

Are any lifted vehicles legal in Canada? Can they cite the law you are breaking?
Lifted vehicles are fine for the most part, but when a vehicle's imported to Canada it needs to through an RIV inspection to check it for the things required by the government here like child seat anchors, day time running lights and no lift kits are allowed.

Some places will let it go others won't. My truck has a smaller lift and there were no problems when I came back a month ago with it. It's all a cash grab anyways, I brought an atv back last year and its the exact same form the inspector fills out.,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts