Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted in the engine 911 ill try here too

so my dads truck started acting up it sucked all of the coolant and there were no leaks so then it wouldnt start so we got it towed to the ford dealer which then, they said that they were going to replace the whole coolant system but then two days passed and they called saying they found a leak in a piston and that some other stuff that was wrong. they told my dad that they would repair everything for 15,000 dollars saying that we needed a monoblack/ whole new engine

now neither my dad nor me know anything about ford diesel trucks
can someone tell me whats going on

okay i found out that the work that they are going to do is replace the long block replace the diesel and oil reproductor (not sure if thats what it is called) and the injectors the whole coolant system, the gaskets and reprogram the module all that for 13,300 dollars

the truck is a king ranch f-350 06 with 153,000 miles so its out of warranty and my dad still owes like 20,000 dollars on the truck.

oh and that morning and like 3 days before it white smoke would sputter out of the exhaust and the day before it wouldnt start it overheated

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad EGR cooler, which might have damaged the heads, and blew the head gaskets. And, I think that is a ton of money. For that I think he should get nothing less than a new engine, if it truly needs an engine, which I could maybe see if it overheated enough. Scuffy should be able to tell you.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
+1 for the egr cooler failure, sorry to hear that man. what a bummer

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
pay it or sell it. nothing you can do. sucks to hear tho.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I would get another opinion. It sounds catastrophic, but if that were the case, it would be throwing a bunch of codes in addition to the white smoke. Did they give you what codes were being thrown? What are all the parts they recommend replacing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i heard from a friend that the new engine is like 8g's only

and if we want another opinion we have to pay like 600k for the inspection they did, yeah we are pretty screwed.

they havent told us about the codes

egr cooler failure- can someone define what this means

thanks guys for the help

scanners not working so i have to type it

Engine Diagnostic - 49.95 for labor

Replace EGR and
oil cooler, EGR valve- 488.17 for parts and 1,239.95 for labor

oil and filter- 702.45 for parts

coolant flush- 60.28

thermostat- 8.92

reprogram pcm- 30.32

compression test- 5.20

plus 13.56
80.00 for parts but it doesnt say which parts

totals for parts is 1,847.89
total for labor 1,289.90
total- 3,137.79 plus shop suplies and tax it comes out to be 3,451.57

then the engine failed the compression test so they will add the long block to the list

replace long block= 7,795 for parts then 1,275 for labor
plus 18.38
grand total of 13,385.01 to repair

and if we dont want repair then they will charge 493.11 for the inspection

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
+2 on the EGR Cooler failure. Maybe find a tech that is in your area and see what they can do for you, no matter who you go to ask about ARP head studs and maybe EGR delete, it can't hurt to make you 6.0 stronger and better if you have to tear it down that far.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
^^^I would agree. Take it to another dealership and have them diagnose it. Something sounds fishy. They haven't given you enough information to make an educated decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts