Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres another AC thread

I was wondering what I can do to improve AC, I know GMs work better than ours so does anybody know whats different? I also drove a friends f350 the other day and I was impressed with how well his worked, since I'm feeding 2 AC systems with the same condenser would adding a second one give a good boost performance?

Thanks in advance

·
Mitch
999 Posts
Have you done any work to it? I just replaced the orifice tube, accumulator, and had it recharged and the A.C. works way better now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes a couple of years ago the compressor, condenser, accumulator/dryer, lines to and from the condenser, rear expansion valve, orifice tube for hottest climate IIRC it was red, flushed all the lines that weren't replaced and the 7.3 fan clutch I think that everything.

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
I don't know much about AC, but my experience has been when I removed the heater core hose shut off valve, my AC wasn't as cool.

I removed the valve to "t" in the coolant filter.

Some truck came with this valve, some didn't. When AC controls are switched to MAX AC, the vacuum operated valve closes off hot coolant to the heater core. This prevents residual heat from being mixed with the cool AC air.

If you have one of these valve, be sure the vacuum hose is connected and/or the valve is working properly.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
LilPooh

I don't have a MAX AC on mine and it's an '07. The only thing I can do is hit the recirc button. Is that what you're talking about? Otherwise enlighten me please. I'd love to get more out of my AC

·
Administrator
29,457 Posts
not sure why Ford missed the mark but all my GM's kick butt over my ford
even after a new compressor and assosciated parts my truck is not chillin like my 2500 or even 3 zone tahoe

with the fan commanded to full on the AC performs a little better at a stop light
I may try a VOV over the FOV (variable/fixed orfice valve)

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
LilPooh

I don't have a MAX AC on mine and it's an '07. The only thing I can do is hit the recirc button. Is that what you're talking about? Otherwise enlighten me please. I'd love to get more out of my AC
Being we have different year tricks, not sure if Max AC and recirc button does the same thing. But you can look under the hood at the heater core hose and see if you have the valve. It will be on the inlet heater core hose, and will have a small grey vacuum line attached to it.
IMG_2599.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IIRC my heater core stays open on recirculation it closes when I set it to 60F which I guess is part of the reason it drops from 65 to 60 instead of continuing the 1-degree count.
@ZMANN Do you still have GM and if so do you mind looking at it to see if there's something obvious that's different.

Maybe GM is still using R12 :sofa:

·
Administrator
29,457 Posts
I have two GM vehicles neither use R12

the systems are the same design as Ford and all use the orifice tube style system
i don't know if it is the condenser location in the diesel or air flow issue or even the compressor design ?

but it has been a well talked about issue and if I could upgrade some components i sure would
I hate being hot inside an air-conditioned vehicle

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have two GM vehicles neither use R12

the systems are the same design as Ford and all use the orifice tube style system
i don't know if it is the condenser location in the diesel or air flow issue or even the compressor design ?

but it has been a well talked about issue and if I could upgrade some components i sure would
I hate being hot inside an air-conditioned vehicle
I already knew they didn't use R12 and I think it's illegal to sell new vehicles with it in the US.

I really wish there was a simple answer to this question like their condensers are bigger or the compressor is bigger.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
Being we have different year tricks, not sure if Max AC and recirc button does the same thing. But you can look under the hood at the heater core hose and see if you have the valve. It will be on the inlet heater core hose, and will have a small grey vacuum line attached to it.
View attachment 640274
yes I have that valve. So I guess I need to have my son hit the recirc button to see what the valve does. I never use the recirc but after trying it I may just do that if the results are positive.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
11,713 Posts
MAX A/C on the manual controls and and Recirc on the electronic are basically the same thing. Both turn off the outside air and, I assume, close the heater control valve. I believe they also do something to keep the compressor from cycling as often, but I am not certain of that.

My A/C works as well as I can really expect for a black truck with an interior the size of a small house. From a hot truck, I usually have to turn it down after 30 minutes or so I the Florida heat. It's not super great, but it does keep the truck cool.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Window tinting goes a long way and a properly charged A/C makes a big difference. At 122k, which was roughly 3 years ago, I had head studs and OEM gaskets done as preventative maintenance and the A/C was vacuumed down and recharged. Two weeks later the DS and PS side windows were tinted to legal limits, I believe 15%. I live in south central Kansas so it gets hot here for extended periods of time, we just went through 2-3 weeks of 100* plus weather. My A/C cools like a dream. Long story short I have to turn down blower speed on a regular basis when I have any passengers. My two cents, tint and properly charge your A/C!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Tint does help, that's one of the first things I do when I get a new to me vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My front windows have the legal limit of tint and the rears are factory tinted. The window tint makes a huge difference I went without it for a couple of days because the old tint was looking ugly so I took it off and immediately had fresh tint installed. I have the AC set to recirculation like 100% of the time and I can't remember the last time I turned it off. Unlike most of you, I'm cooling at least double the space if not more,

Dark truck in triple digits and 90%+ humidity it works ok but not as well as I would like it too.

Maybe I'll just do this

·
Registered
964 Posts
One thing I hate about my truck is I have to push the recirc button every time I start it. For some stupid reason it doesn't remember it was on (electronic climate control on 2006). That and the power outlet and cig lighter is hot when the ignition is off, wish one was switched controlled.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Air flow through the condenser and evaporator or condenser size is what must be holding you back. I worked for a large school district and they had a bus for special needs students which had A/C and the condenserS weren't in front by radiator. They had their own electric fans on the side of the bus. Air flow through heat exchangers or condenser size?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts