Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

I'm only getting 3 to 9 psi of my Turbo

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Cory27 
#1 ·
I got a 2003 Ford F-350 Super Duty with the 7.3 powerstroke it's bone stock I hooked it up to the torque app this morning and I noticed that I'm only getting 3 to 9 PSI out of my Turbo at 60 to 65 miles an hour if I mash on the fuel I can see 9 PSI out of it but normal driving only see 3 to 5 PSI is this normal or do I have a leak

#2 ·
Normal driving, that's about all you see. Should be able to reach 20+ in certain circumstances. Stock turbo will do 30-35 with a tune and boost fooler. I've found max boost to come when getting on it in 4th gear (tuned) or getting it downshift on the highway. Around town, even aggressively, you'll rarely see 10 before it grabs the next gear and drops

#4 ·
I’m addition to what was said, monitoring the boost through the OBD port isn’t accurate at all. You need a mechanical gauge or a CTS monitor with proper hookups
I disagree - monitoring through the OBD port is just using the MAP sensor which should be very accurate up through 25psi. This is what the computer is using to determine how the engine runs so accuracy is necessary. An OBD monitor is just reading what that sensor sees. A mechanical gauge is only needed if you have a boost fooler and are pushing pasts the normal limits of 28psi. That said, a mechaical gauge is always nice to have and is a good check to ensure you're getting a true reading

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#7 ·
Check all your CAC boots/clamps, up pipes, and spider to turbo connection. If you need any of these parts, I do have everything in stock.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Corey@CNCFAB has got great advice. After he suggested I check my CAC boot clamps for tightness I got rid of a high pitch piccolo squeal that I developed while towing heavy uphill.
Thanks again Corey !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.