Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping my friend with his 2005 Ram 1500 (2WD). He was trying to put coil spacers in the front and decided it wasn't worth the work. I have never worked on an IFS truck before, throw me a solid front end and I'm your man but this IFS stuff just makes me :tard:

So, as you can see in the picture how exactly are we supposed to get what I believe to be the upper ball joint to pop back into the steering knuckle? I got the nut threaded back onto the joint a few good turns with the ratchet but then the "bolt" just started to spin. I tried hammering it in the best I could but that didn't do much. I managed to get a few more turns on the nut but as you can see the "bolt" still needs to go down into the knuckle to it can be fully tightened. Is their some sort of press or special tool I can get :dunno:

Heres a pick of his truck next to mine.

Ford>Dodge :nod:

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you can get vice grips on the shank below the nut do that, if not use a big *** pry bar and pry down the arm allowing the nut to spin easier, also you should use an impact to spin the nut on, the high speed USUALLY will spin the nut on with out turning the bolt.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can get vice grips on the shank below the nut do that, if not use a big *** pry bar and pry down the arm allowing the nut to spin easier, also you should use an impact to spin the nut on, the high speed USUALLY will spin the nut on with out turning the bolt.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
Didn't even think about putting vice grips on that little shank below the nut. Sounds like that will do the trick, hopefully.

Thanks Man!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Looks like that ball joint needs to be replaced, from that picture it looks like the boot is ripped. If that boot is ripped the joint wont last very long. Skooter is right put a wrench on the shaft and it will suck right down.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like that ball joint needs to be replaced, from that picture it looks like the boot is ripped. If that boot is ripped the joint wont last very long. Skooter is right put a wrench on the shaft and it will suck right down.
I know, the truck needs a lot of things :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Haha, your truck makes that dodge look goofy. He should park next to that car, it would look a little better.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts