Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to drop this one. I have a 2002 7.3 with 275k miles. I've had the truck about 8 years and I've been happy. I actually have it listed for sale on here. However, she needs an oil pan in the near future. It's too much work for me and I'm not sure I want to pay for it's replacement, bc there is a good chance the cost could snow ball. I'm in NY and to get a clean 7.3 from the south will cost me 15k. So my question is, for that money, and knowing that I'm paying a premium for the model, what other trucks might I consider for 15 to 20k? I like my ford, but my loyalty is to quality and my wallet, so other makes are on the table. I don't have to have a diesel, but I like to know that I can haul whatever I want. I've done a little research, but looking for opinions...I think. 馃檪 Quality and reliable are my key needs. So...should I stick with an older 7.3 or do something different? Thanks!

Registered
I鈥檇 go with an older 7.3 from the south. I just picked up a 1995 cclb 4x4 in pretty good shape, interior is great, 156k miles. It cost me $10k. Which, I think was a good deal? Maybe not, idk. But I feel like it was for this area. No rust on body at all - it鈥檚 from Texas. Needs a little work, but going to be a fun project for me and the kids for the next decade or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I should also add, my truck used to be a weekend warrior, now she is a daily driver...

Premium Member
7.3 or 5.9 Cummins.

Reactions: JustinOOO9

Premium Member
7.3 or 5.9 Cummins.
The 5.9 Cummins was very good to me, the only problem was that it came attached to a Dodge, which wasn't so good.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have opinions on mid2000s Duramax? Is that a sin to ask that on this forum? 馃檪

Hate stupid people
The 5.9 Cummins was very good to me, the only problem was that it came attached to a Dodge, which wasn't so good.
Fact. Fender/cab corner rust, front end attention.
my 07.5 is "slightly" better, still rusting though

Anyone have opinions on mid2000s Duramax? Is that a sin to ask that on this forum? 馃檪
Injector issues, not to hard to fix though.

Premium Member

Registered
For the lower end of your price you could get a decent 6.0, at least in AZ. Using the rest of the money for the upper end budget, you could get yourself new heads etc. if needed...

I'm also seeing as these things get older, local options are fewer and make it tempting to look at something far away on craigslist or another site. Only three or four 6.0, 4WD excursions listed on craigslist locally, and most of those are pricey.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #12

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Registered
06 LBZ was probably the "best" year for those. As stated though, the IFS and injectors. You'll get a good ride quality out of the IFS, but the tie rods are pencils on them. The Allison isn't as good as it's cracked up to be as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Any feedback on F150s newer than say 2010?

Registered
I bought two new Cummins' in the 90s and I really like the engine but the front ends gave out after about 80k. Just not heavy enough for the engine. Maybe if you go to a one ton, might not have that problem. I bought a new F250 SD PSD in November of 2000 and I still have it. 200k and I had to put a new oil pan on it last summer. I love that truck.

Premium Member
I bought two new Cummins' in the 90s and I really like the engine but the front ends gave out after about 80k. Just not heavy enough for the engine. Maybe if you go to a one ton, might not have that problem. I bought a new F250 SD PSD in November of 2000 and I still have it. 200k and I had to put a new oil pan on it last summer. I love that truck.
What do you mean by the front end gave out, what failed? They use a Dana 60 front axle just like the Fords do.

Registered
What do you mean by the front end gave out, what failed? They use a Dana 60 front axle just like the Fords do.
Front end, not front axle. - - parts associated with the front wheels, suspension and steering. Can't remember details - it's been 25 years or so. The second one was a '96 2500 Dodge and when I started having front end problems again - - that was it for Chrysler pickups.

Fire From the Clouds!
If not a 7.3 then a 5.9 cummins in an 08-10 f350 body.

You can get a rusted out 5.9 with a good motor for cheap, a blown 6.4 with a good frame/body for cheap, even better if the 5r100 is included and works. Buy an adaption kit online and have a great truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts