Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting IDS so I can see contribution tests for my 6.0
Just wondering if anyone has used a IDS clone and the cheaper Interface such as the VXDIAG VCX nano. Just trying to figure out what works the best and where I should purchase everything. Especially curious on where to get the software without having to spend a bunch. I've seen some videos and forums talking about these but not really a lot of details on where or who to buy from.

Just don't want to waste my money on something that isn't going to work.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
624 Posts
I haven’t but why not find a decent used snap on or launch, they will show you the same plus no subscprition fee like with ids I have a few different scanners ids included and unless you want to program/reflash there’s no advantage or need for IDS. The aftermarket tools do a much better job with data stream and the overall user interface. I own the factory Chrysler witech, gm gds2 and tech2, and ford IDS my snap on verus ultra is my go to every time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may look into getting a used snap on or something. I was just more so looking for something cheaper. I seen some combos online for the IDS clones for under 200$ But I have no experience with them and don’t want to just throw away 200$. I don’t do this everyday I just have my truck and the occasional friends truck, so I wasn’t looking to spend crazy money on one. I have Torque pro and ForScan for my Tablet but neither are capable of contribution tests.

·
Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
624 Posts
You to pay a subscription fee for the legit ids software 850 iirc per year or 40 for 72 hours going off memory it may have changed, I do mine yearly and it doesn’t expire until March. There may be software out there that’s pirated and doesn’t use motorcraft site but I’ve never looked into it.

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Only an IDS or an IDS clone will do an uncompensated injector balance test. I've had a cloned IDS and did all the functions. The interface failed due to poor soldering, and the software can be tricky with its date restrictions and interface with different OS. If you really know what you are doing with OS, you can make it work easier.

But if you do not absolutely need an uncompensated balance, FORScan is a better setup.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don’t necessarily need an uncompensated balance test but it would be nice to have on hand.
TooManyToys where did you get your clone setup when you had it? Did you pay for the legit IDS software?

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
It was an eBay kit years ago. No, I didn't link up with Ford. When I was working, I had bought the Ford package with the yearly subscription for the facility.

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
the ForScan cylinder cutout test will do a similar operation to the balance test, but you have to interepet the readings, -- no fancy graph

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the ForScan cylinder cutout test will do a similar operation to the balance test, but you have to interepet the readings, -- no fancy graph
Okay I was unaware of this, which version are you talking about? I currently just have the ForScan for my tablet with the Bluetooth OBD adapter.

·
Premium Member
11,857 Posts
Okay I was unaware of this, which version are you talking about? I currently just have the ForScan for my tablet with the Bluetooth OBD adapter.
You need the full PC version, so unless your tablet is running Windows, it won't do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.