Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been talked about a hundred time, but the search didn't reveal the answer.

I am about to pull the trigger on the FICM tuner. I'm not worried about or expecting the 20-30rwhp that's claimed. But a nice 10rwhp would keep me happy.

As far as the MPG and driveability is concerned, is it worth it?

I would be running the moderate (40) tune with my custom tunes from Eric on my SCT X3.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
..also does it raise your EGT's? I'm already high enough with my EGT's.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
I've been looking at this same tuner, DeepDish, and same file.

From what I have found, it will aid in the low to mid RPM range same as Atlas40 from PHP does.

As to EGTs - I don't have an answer, your truck is pretty hot with stock injectors for some reason.

Drivability - every review I have read says that the improved low-to-mid RPM performance really helps the truck out.

MPGs - to many variables between trucks to really have solid numbers.

I'll be adding this tuner sometime this winter, the advice above isn't first hand yet. Just make sure your files are updated for this FICM tune.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I just received the IDP ficm tuner this week, but won't be able to do any testing till later next week.
Right now I have the truck in the garage sitting on jack stands with the rear wheels off, I'm doing an update on the Kelderman rear suspension system and didn't have everything I needed before I took it apart (thought I did but found out different when I got it into it).

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have the ID FICM tuner and love what it did. I saw more mileage gains from the FICM tuning than from ECM tuning or strat changes. Once the FICM tuning was in place my Mileage is the same no matter what strat I use. I personally have the Moderate tune. I would ask what he is sending now as it seems he's sending a mild/hybrid tune with the tuners and the difference between it and the moderate is not much.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I am running the mild panty dropper from TSD with the Atlas40 from php on my 58v bulletproof diesel FICM.... my truck went from 12 mpg to high 16s with these mods..

Those readings are from the dash mpg which isnt known for its accuracy. the last time i hand calculated the mpg it was less than half of a mpg off from what the dash said so i have no reason not to think it remains accurate.

As far as performance is concerned, the truck stock is terrible as we all know. the truck with a tune has an abundancy of power, but only when the turbo is spooled due to turbo lag. the Atlas40 was able to bring the power down to the low rpm and allow less throttle to get the truck moving.

Yes the truck runs hotter now than before the ficm tune

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
When you guys got yours ficms tuned did you change your FICM strategy? I have the VXCF9 strategy and on PHP website it says that he recommends that you change it to an early strategy.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
When you guys got yours ficms tuned did you change your FICM strategy? I have the VXCF9 strategy and on PHP website it says that he recommends that you change it to an early strategy.
That's the ECM strategy not the FICM strategy, the VXCF9 is not a bad strategy, some of the tuners like it better than the earlier ones

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got the IDP FICM Tuner "moderate" and I have to say it is OUTSTANDING. I tuned the FICM with IDP and I gained 2 MPG, the "dead stop", with the Pmax turbo went away and the buzz when you first turn the keep went away. The truck starts better and is considerably quieter. I have to say.... Its one of the best things I have ever spent my money on. After I did the FICM tuner, I got a custom tune from Tony "Loony Tune" and I can burn the tires at 55 mph now and that is with 35 inch tires.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

the VXCF9 is pretty much as good as the vxcf4 strats. the problem with the vxcf9 is when ford uploads it you get the ubber sucky FICM code which is the main reason the VXCF9 got the bad rap it has. the big difference between the vxcf4 and the vxcf9 is this. the vxcf4 uses EBP for boosting and the vxcf9 uses other sensors to boost.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
FICM tuners help power, driveability and fuel mileage. The mild and moderate tunes work better than the really aggressive tunes. The Herc 100 is extremely hot, I plan on knocking it back to the Atlas 40 in the near future. Deepdish........ do it, do it now. The extra mid range will assist you with the lack pf mid range you have now and you should see a very strong smooth power curve.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Is the IDP FICM tuner just one single program or is there several different ones like the PHP setup?

·
Registered
636 Posts
That's the ECM strategy not the FICM strategy, the VXCF9 is not a bad strategy, some of the tuners like it better than the earlier ones
Yep VXCF9 is a good strategy. iMO rollbacks are pointless especially if you are running a tuned ECM. Mostly it's a way to make money and give you tunes they already created.

Some tuners actually haven't tuned on the newer strategies. Inferred ebp and inductive heat are some differences. I've had VXCF4, VXCF7, on my truck previously and VXCF9 runs, starts, and feels the best.

I talked with Eric at IDP and he staed he removes inductive heat from his FICM tune, so that could impact cold starts.

Forgot to mention... When I was running php ficm tunes I did notice egts were a tad higher and seemed to spike quicker. I think a mild ficm tune is beneficial mainly for improved throttle response and a ill better mpg. That's my experience anyways...

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Is the IDP FICM tuner just one single program or is there several different ones like the PHP setup?
Single program selected at purchase, and from what I understand of the unit, you can't return the FICM to stock. However the tuner becomes VIN locked, and if something happens (replacement, or reflash by a dealer) you can reload the file to your truck without any issue.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Single program selected at purchase, and from what I understand of the unit, you can't return the FICM to stock. However the tuner becomes VIN locked, and if something happens (replacement, or reflash by a dealer) you can reload the file to your truck without any issue.
Ben, does that mean that with the PHP tuner you could return the FICM to stock if desired? I mean I don't have any warranty on my truck so the likelihood it would end up back to the dealer is slim but the possibility does exist for some things. If the PHP tuner allows the FICM to be calibrated back to stock, that may be the beneficial way to go.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Ben, does that mean that with the PHP tuner you could return the FICM to stock if desired? I mean I don't have any warranty on my truck so the likelihood it would end up back to the dealer is slim but the possibility does exist for some things. If the PHP tuner allows the FICM to be calibrated back to stock, that may be the beneficial way to go.
I do not have an answer on that one. I would like a tuner that can return to stock as well.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
'

yes with the PHP tuner can go back to stock. If ID ships you a stock file you could also go back to stock with that. Now if I would have my truck to ford and they would flash it and over write the ficm tune then I would just use IDs FICM tuner and flash the truck again.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
The PHP FICM tuner holds 4 FICM tunes plus your stock file. You get an economy, Atlas 40, Atlas 80 and Hercules 100. There is also a blank space that holds your stock file. I have not worked with the IDP tuner so I can't speak for that tuner.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered the FICM Tuner. Although, there was no spot to select the tune that I wanted. How does that work? I want the moderate/hybrid FICM tune that Eric has been sending out with the units..

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The PHP FICM tuner holds 4 FICM tunes plus your stock file. You get an economy, Atlas 40, Atlas 80 and Hercules 100. There is also a blank space that holds your stock file. I have not worked with the IDP tuner so I can't speak for that tuner.
My Gryphon FICM tuner holds my stock FICM tune. I also tuned JUGERNAUT's FICM and the gryphon held his stock tune.

Edit: I miss read your post, my bad! Ignore my above post! Ha!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts