Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing the IDM mod to my 96 powerstroke next week and post my thoughts after doing it.

After I test it and see how long it takes I am confident that I will be able to do this mod for others that aren't sure if they can do it them selves. So if you are interested and have an IDM 100 or 110 let me know becuase I had to order 10 reistors so I will have 9 extra. If I see a big enough interest I will order more resistors and use the profits to fund my 96 build up.

Thanks for looking and feel free to ask questions.

·
Banned
722 Posts
what does a idm mod actually do

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts

·
Banned
722 Posts
how do you do it

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
You have to remove a resistor and re-solder a different one in it's place. Check out the link for pics, it makes it easier to understand. I wouldn't try it if you haven't soldered electrical components before. The hardest part is removing to old solder and resistor.

·
Banned
722 Posts
okay thanks

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
No problem, if you decide to tackle it and have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be doing mine monday or tuesday. It should be very simple. that is why i am offering to do it for other people that aren't sure if they can do it.

If you want to do it yourself but need a resistor I can send you one of the extra 9 I will have.

·
Banned
722 Posts
k thanks will keep you in mind

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did mine this afternoon and am very happy with the results. I'm going to try and make up some detailed instructions later this week. it was a little harder to do than I thought but it was worth it.

Let me know if anyone wants some 75k resistors or want to send me theres to get modded.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anybody interested?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would like to get a resistor off u NO Limits. I live in a small town i cant get one locally.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Nolimits where are you located

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nolimits where are you located
Rolla, MO 65401

And yes I will sell you a resitor if you have an IDM 100 or 110.

The difference in accelertation is very noticable before the turbo spools up.

I think it would be fare to charge $50 for me to do the mod and you cover shipping. I don't know how much to charge for just a reistor though.

Any suggestion?

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Whatever the resistor cost you sounds fair. We are a community. How would you like someone to say I will give you advice on your problem but drop me a few bucks first. The resistors I got for my truck and my fathers truck cost me nothing. A fellow forum member would not even let me pay freight.

For what it is worth, shops charge $100 for a modded IDM(exchange). Keep in mind, if you end up frying an IDM, you buy a new one and they are not cheep.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
:ditto::agree: glad that yours workes out though

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm a broke college student trying to feed my need for more power. I will sell the resistor for a $1 a piece becuase they cost me $11 for 10 plus I have to buy a stamp to send it with. If thats not fair then i'm sorry but thats the way it goes.

I will back MY WORK 100%. If what I do messes up your IDM or if my solder for some reason I will take care of it. I will not garanty your IDM becuase someone might send me a junk one to begin with and try and screw me.

I am extremely confident in my capabilities but if no one want to take up my offer I won't be offened. I can send them out the day afer I get it so its up to you how much you spend on shipping to have as little down time possible.

If you want to get more reasurance PM me and I will send you my phone number so you can talk to me directly.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No need to get testy over it. That is just the way some of us feel. WE are all entitled to our own opinion and are entitled to express it whenever we want to. Getting an attitude over this is definately no way to get people to send you their parts to be worked on. College student or not....we are all trying to feed the need for horsepower....and do it as cheap as possible. Good luck with you endeavor.

·
Registered
226 Posts
how can i tell whether i have a 100 or a 110 idm?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry if I sounded "testy". I understand where you are coming from that is why I thought I would offer to do it for $50 plus shipping for those that can't do it themselves so they don't have to pay $100 to have someone else do it.

I will test the IDM on my truck before and after I do the mod to make sure it is working properly.

On the wiring harness that plugs into your IDM (located on the driver side iner fender) it should have a label on it that tells you which one you have. My 96 has an IDM 100.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts