Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Here is some pretty good instructions on it IDM Mod
I bought 5 of each resistor but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Some say it is unnecessary if you got a chip.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is some pretty good instructions on it IDM Mod
I bought 5 of each resistor but haven't gotten around to doing it yet.
Some say it is unnecessary if you got a chip.

sounds like a good job for the weekend:woot: If it is unnecesssary if you have a chip then i'm not going to do it, because i', hoping to have a chip by next weekend:woot::woot::woot::woot:

·
Registered
365 Posts
what does this do? waht is IDM?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
gives you more power

Ummm that's very debatable. The IDM mod gives you better throttle response, that's about it. On my truck with all my mods I definetly noticed a difference in throttle response, but I don't think I gained any power. It's definetly a worth while mod to do and it's vitrually free, so it's very cost effective. Thorttle response increased dramatically, power... not so much but it's still a great mod to do. :thumb:

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
IDM... Injector Drive Module

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ummm that's very debatable. The IDM mod gives you better throttle response, that's about it. On my truck with all my mods I definetly noticed a difference in throttle response, but I don't think I gained any power. It's definetly a worth while mod to do and it's vitrually free, so it's very cost effective. Thorttle response increased dramatically, power... not so much but it's still a great mod to do. :thumb:

Was it hard? what tools do i need?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Was it hard? what tools do i need?
All you need to do the job is determine what IDM you have, and then you need to find the proper resistor to use to make the voltage 140v. Like my truck had a 110v IDM so I used a 75kohm resistor to make the voltage 140v. There is definetly a write-up somewhere or atleast a "how to" for the IDM mod. The resistors arent something you can just buy at Radio Shack, the resistors needed are high quality, low tolerance, metal film resistors. I had to order mine from a guy I know that has an electronic shop.

The job simply requires you to pull the IDM from the truck, open it up, un-solder a resistor and solder in the new one you got. Then seal the IDM case back up and re-install it in the truck. It's really pretty easy as long as you have the right resistor for your IDM and a steady hand so you can do some soldering under tight circumstances. To find out what voltage your IDM is, you need to pull it from the truck and look at the sticker on it, it will eother say 100v, 110v, or 120v.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Don't want to take over the post here but I see your list of mods includes the DP Tuner. Is this mod worth doing even with the DP? My DP definately increased my throttle response but sometimes I do just run it in stock mode. My right foot just gets way too happy with the DP

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Don't want to take over the post here but I see your list of mods includes the DP Tuner. Is this mod worth doing even with the DP? My DP definately increased my throttle response but sometimes I do just run it in stock mode. My right foot just gets way too happy with the DP
No question, I noticed a throttle response difference with the modded IDM. Modded IDM's are just a little "extra" for the truck. With my truck, the big injectors and turbo and Jody's tunes, the throttle response is great, but the IDM only heled that much more. I dont think it would hurt to do it to your truck. My buddy PJ has an Edge Evolution on his truck and we did the IDM mod and he noticed a big difference as well. I say DO IT!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No question, I noticed a throttle response difference with the modded IDM. Modded IDM's are just a little "extra" for the truck. With my truck, the big injectors and turbo and Jody's tunes, the throttle response is great, but the IDM only heled that much more. I dont think it would hurt to do it to your truck. My buddy PJ has an Edge Evolution on his truck and we did the IDM mod and he noticed a big difference as well. I say DO IT!
I just don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I just don't want to screw anything up.
If you think you cant do it then dont. I'm pretty confident when it comes to working on my truck and I have toe resources to repair most things fairly easily. If your not sure your comfortable playing with electric components that make your truck run then dont touch them. You could buy a modded IDM from a place like SWAMPS DIESEL, I know they sell them, IDK for how much tho.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thank you!!! I'll look and see what IDM I have, find the "how to" on here and get it done :thumb: ... as soon as it stops raining and warms up at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts