Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys that are running H&S, have a slightly rough idle from time to time? I got in my truck this morning and let it idle for about 5 minutes. It had a slight shake while just sitting still. Normally its never been there, just a smooth idle with no shimy. There was one day it was flat out bad, sitting in the truck and everything was rattling around inside. Usually if I kill the motor and fire her back up all is good. Just curious what yall think. Running the latest update on my black maxx. Any thoughts?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Not that I've ever noticed. Maybe try reloading your tune.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya know, now that I think about it. It has only been happening when I run the regular program, dont believe its happened on Hot Damn tunes. I recently went back to the regular tunes because I felt like my fuel mileage was better with them.

I may just go back to the Hot Damn tunes.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
I was just thinking of going back to the standard tunes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
fuel surging maybe? could need filters

·
Registered
97 Posts
My truck does this running the KEM 345 tune. Any ideas why? I've re loaded the tune many times and it's always done it. I have not changed the fuel filter. It's only been on for about 6xxx miles.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My truck does this running the KEM 345 tune. Any ideas why? I've re loaded the tune many times and it's always done it. I have not changed the fuel filter. It's only been on for about 6xxx miles.

same here, mine is like clock work. like every 15 seconds it has a quick shake at idle. is that what yours is doing?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine kinda sounds like a miss. It does it about every 45 seconds

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
yea i know what you mean, mine does that. how is your shifting?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well this is certainly an interesting thread...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Shifting is fine. Second to third is a little hard. But no slipping or slamming gears

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fuel surging maybe? could need filters
My fuel filters have about 4500 miles on them. They are OEM motorcraft filters, no offbrand here.

I was just thinking of going back to the standard tunes.
Im thinking of going back to the Hot damn tunes. Dont really remember any idling issues while running that tune.

same here, mine is like clock work. like every 15 seconds it has a quick shake at idle. is that what yours is doing?
I would have to say that mine was a constant shake, sometimes just barely noticeable, one time it was very noticeable with everything rattling inside. It never did it every so many seconds, just a constant shake. It would go back to running smooth the moment I added any RPMs to it. It would also not do it if I turned the truck off then turned it back on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone asked mike kem about this? Hopefully he has a fix for it?!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone asked mike kem about this? Hopefully he has a fix for it?!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Im using the H&S tunes, no KEM tunes....Is this happening with guys running the standard tunes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
im running the standard tunes as well and dont have this issue. but im looking into some bigger tunes once i get my studs and dd in. so i hope there is a fix or something for this because i was really thinking about the kem tunes along with gear head since i like the smoke free tunes. but if there is a problem with the kem stuff ill just do the gear head ones.

·
Registered
68 Posts
sorry atwooj i miss read your post. and while i dont have the miss/shake issue, ive had maybe 4 or 5 times ive started my truck and tap the throttle and it would jump up to about 2000 rpm and then went back down and if i were to actually hit the throttle just a tiny bit more and leave off quickly it would go to like 3500 rpm and then back down. but if i turn it off and start it back up it would be fine. but like i said its only happened a couple of times. and thats running the mild tunes on the wild setting lbf set to 0.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just loaded the newest updated standard tunes a couple weeks ago on my truck for a 2400 mile trip towing my 10k# camper. I noticed right off the bat it had a rough idle especially when put into gear but it seemed to go away after it warmed up. I thought maybe the more I run it, it would go away. It hasnt, also I changed the oil and fuel filters last week. since I'm home and not towing ill load up the hot damn tunes and see if its still there.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I have been running the hotdamm tunes and have not noticed any of this.

·
Registered
443 Posts
We had a truck that would do just this exact same thing. It wasnt tuned though. Bone stock. Would develop a shake at idle. Turn it off and restart it and it would be gone. Was at 2 different ford dealers and 3 different independent diesel shops. Consesus was that it had a bad motor. Put a new long block in and its been fine ever since. Dont; know if it was low on compression or had a valvetrain issue but no one could figure it out. Other than number 2 and 8 were a little low on compression. Apparently it wasnt enough to worry about on any other motor hence the reason no one could decide what was wrong. Don't know if that was the issue but a new motor cleared it up.

Edit. Thaat same truck now has 50000 h and s tuned kms on it and runs fine. No shake on any of the tunes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had this same problem at idle with the HD300 tune. Filters only have a little over 2k miles but i get a nasty idle sometimes (feels like a misfire). decided to change the tune back to the mild 250 tune and that worked.... for about a week. makes me wonder if it's a computer problem from the tuning. there was no instance of the idle issue right after changing the tune but as the truck was driven more it became noticeable again. posted a thread a few days ago about this and got little help. would love to hear of a fix that doesn't involve engine replacement :eek:mg:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts