Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellers,

First, I've scoured the previous forum postings and can't find an answer, so if already asked/answered please forgive me. Second, I'm not a big truck guy so if this is dumb don't go all Hog-Crazy on my ***. It's not the first time I've turned a wrench, it is just usually on something different. The problem should be obvious from the attached photos.

1996 F-250 Powerstroke. My wife was driving it when the pulley started whining and eventually destroyed itself, including most of the bolt that was holding on the pulley. So I got a Gates kit that came with both pulleys, tensioner and belt. Since the bolt was ruined, I also got a new one from Ford.

Here's the question: It looks like that using the bolt I got, the idler pulley does not contact the frame it mounts on very tightly. There is about a 7/32" gap from the point the bolt bottoms out (tight) and the pulley, so the pulley will "float" back and forth on the bolt a little. Is that okay, or do I need to find a different bolt or pulley?

It's been a great truck and I don't use it all that often (260k miles) but this seemed like a fix I could do rather than take it in. Thanks for the advice.

Dabe
Midland, Texas

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,030 Posts
I have not ran into a "floating" pulley -- usually the bolt pulls up against the bearing to hold the pulley in place
You sure they sold you the correct bolt for that location?
Does the place the pulley bolts onto have a recess to take up the slack?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Either wrong pulley or wrong bolt. Should suck up tight.
If you get the motorcraft pulley, it comes with the bolt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
It should not float. Here's what I have in the parts list (and it should come with the correct bolt):

Idler Pulley, Ribbed (8-rib belted)
(Ford) F6TZ-8678-HB
(Motorcraft) YS-268

Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much, Gents. I got my answer, it's not supposed to float back and forth. As you all have suggested, I'm going to start chasing parts numbers and sounds like I need a new pulley or bolt or both. Sure do appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Dabe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts