Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jsut wondering what speed most peoples trucks are idleing at? Mines idleing at jsut above 500 rpm, and recently when i tap the pedal and release it the needle drops below 500 and the truck almost dies...Any explanation for that?

·
Registered
601 Posts
mine idles between 600-700

·
Registered
447 Posts
mine around 680

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know what would cause my idle speed to drop below 500 after tapping the gas pedal? I really need to fix this because the truck is basically undriveable, because I never know when its going to just die. After driving the truck for about 10 minutes, the problem seems to get worse.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I beleive my truck is overdo for an oil change, would dirty oil, or nto enough oil explain rough idle or the idle speed dropping enough that it dies?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
According to the APCM's in both my 7.3's, 665-675 rpm for warm engine, around 700 when cold.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Could be a high pressure oil problem, dirty oil and low oil will definitely cause runability problems because of the effects on the HPOP system. Could possibly also be IPR O-rings. If you can hook a scanner to it and watch the ICP at idle that would tell a lot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All. I am new to the board and have been lurking for a while. My truck does basically the same thing. What are the ranges the ICP should be in and is there a chart showing what is to be expected on variable readings like the ICP? My cruise just quit working the other day also. I have to get Auto Ingenuity hooked back up and do some testing. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts