Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 99 F-350 SD 7.3L has 110k miles. Service engine light came on during a trip. Ran fine home, 175 miles. Changed out the fuel filter. No change in the Service Engine light. I did notice that the fuel pump in the frame rail was making a cavating noise (air?). I pulled the fuel line off the pump that goes to the tank and blew back into the tank with the cap off, no restrictions. I ran the truck with the cap on and off, no change. The truck has now begun to idle rough. I can put a no-load rpm increase and it seems to shut off and on. After I re-start, it runs okay for a few minutes then rough again. I have never replaced anything on this truck except the injector wiring on one bank. I understand there is a recall for the CPS (cam position censor) and my VIN qualifies. I don't have a scanner so I can't pull codes. Any ideas on what could be the problem(s)?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Could be many, many different things, really need to have the codes pulled. Replacing the CPS would be a good cheap place to start. IF that don’t do it then a good through scan and full diagnostics should be around $75 to find out what’s wrong. Just be careful, I have dealt with shops who would diagnose fairly cheap then want to charge way too much to fix it. If it were me, and I didn’t have my predator, then I’d get it scanned and checked but fix it myself.

Here is how I got rid of the fuel problems on my truck for $35;
Shutterfly | View Shared Pictures

·
Registered
268 Posts
Nice photag, but can u add an explanation?

Thanks, Russell

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Nice photag, but can u add an explanation?

Thanks, Russell
each picture should have a comment attached explaining what it is. There are also several writeups on the net about these mods. If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to help as much as I can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts