Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 7.3 with a bout 252,000 has just recently developed an issue where the idle fluctuates and you can visually see it with with the icp readings when the idle goes down the icp drops to around 440 and when it's "normal" it is at 470-480 with IPR at around 10.4-10.8, The truck recently shut off on me randomly going down the road, couldn't get it to restart, unplug the ipc and still no start even though the plug had oil on it, also changed the CPS with no result, after about a half an hour it did fire up and got it back home replaced the ICP and it seemed to be fine for a couple days but I decided it would be a good idea to replace the IPR which I did, used all Ford parts, and again it seemed to run fine for a day or so and then this morning I noticed this change in idle, It's subtle but you can notice it mostly in the cab and the drop in ICP pressure, If the ICP is unplugged it's not there, no idle problem at all, truck seems louder though, new Ford ICP, any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
To be honest most would recommend replacing the small pigtal/wire section for the IPR too. It gets destroyed with the heat and oil/fuel leaks and can cause even a new IPR to give the engine the same symptoms you described. If oil is seeping past the ICP its a good sign the internal seal is failing and should be replaced along with the small pigtail/wire section.

Also when unplugging the ICP it sends a default value to the ecm so if the problem goes away with the ICP unplugged replace the ICP

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will add that the truck has plenty of power, just at idle the trucks ICP numbers dip and then raise that causes a noticeable change in rpm and it's worse after you rev it and it settles back down to an idle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts