Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ah well I guess I will tear into the dash I will say with out havin both trucks side by side I probably would have went with the cummins

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Take about an hour, drop the steering column and pull the dash off the firewall. That way you can just unplug everything off the dash, and plug the donor harness on. It would be nearly impossible to do it with the dash in the truck.

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was planning on taking the dash out so I can swap the instrument cluster so i can keep the odometer the same with the motor so pulling the harness the rest of the way out shouldn't be a problem the only wiring problem I can see is going to the back of the truck if those have to be swapped the donor truck is only a regular cab long bed and the new is a cclb so might have to make some extensions hopefully I can get some work done today if I can get these combines going

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I would think the chassis harness should be the same for IDI/PSD, being both have the fuel tank valve, and no tank mounted pumps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If I rember right all the accessory harnesses plug into the dash harness

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well the IDI supposedly has a bad head but I haven't got it tore apart yet I think I might put it in an F-20. The motor would be way over kill but neat as hell to see a four bottom plow behind an F-20

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay been gettin a parts list together of stuff I need to get before I start putting the P-smoke in Im going to put a southbend clutch kit in with a single mass flywheel, but since the motor is hooked up to an auto now what is this adapter plate for the back of the engine do I need this and what am I looking into as far as the wiring for the trans to get the speedo and neutral safety switch to work

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
I am assuming the IDI is a 92-94 Yes? You mentioned the PSD is a 95, but no year on the IDI.
Assuming the IDI is the same body style, not a bricknose, the existing VSS in the chassis harness should be fine.

The transmission harness should be a sub-harness that plugs into the main underhood harness, so you can swap it in when you change the underhood harness. The harness swap (trans harness from the IDI) with the 5 speed will negate the E4OD's MLPS input for park/neutral start. In the vicinity of the steering column, you will find a connector with a bypass plug inserted into it. Remove the plug and connect the harness to the clutch safety switch.

You will need to keep the bellhousing spacer for the swap, but the crank spacer for the flexplate isn't needed.

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The idi is a 94 with the 5 speed in it and I'm transplanting the p-smoke

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Okay, that will make most things plug and play then :nod:

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Okay good I was getting nervous thinking I didn't have all the parts to do the swap like I thought. The wife is already wondering if this worth all of the trouble.

·
Johnny Law Brown
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Update finally got some time to work on the truck again I got the dash out steering column out which makes it easy for the tilt swap and the harness out but what I don't understand is there was a control module on the drivers side fender well one behind the aluminum support one behind the dash in the middle and one up behind the glove box what is all of that I thought idis were suppose to be simple

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.