Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new at this and have spent hours searching this (and many others)forum. I have a great appreciation for the flexibility that many of you favor with the customizable chips, and I understand that many of you favor these because you are WAY deep in supporting mods on your truck. I, on the other hand, just picked up a standard cab 4x4 work horse and simply want to add a little bit of spice under the hood without starting a chain reaction of problems that often follow...
I am aware that Edge, Superchips, etc are not often the favorites amongst serious diesel folks, but I have to ask if I'd be nuts to spend more money chasing after one of the more popular setups if all I want is a little bit more power and mileage? One of my biggest concerns is the transmission; this truck is about to turn over 250k and I have no idea if or when the tranny was ever rebuilt...so I definitely want to salvage every bit of life that I can out of it just as it is. :dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have the same question, I picked up an exhaust for mine to get a little more power! I am next going to do the 6637 intake and get some sort of tuner, im leaning towards the php tuner but am still open to others! I was set on the edge evolution but after reading about tranny problems ive had to reconsider what I want, I will just keep reading and learning more about my truck and tuners before I decide! I only plan on hauling around my 250# sand drag quad!

·
Banned
1,919 Posts
the price for a chip and gauges aint really that much more and yes the tunes are that much better, and they're switch on the fly. i just can't see why people are so hard headed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With all due respect, I don't see this as me being hard headed...I made it pretty clear that I have plenty of respect for the reasoning behind custom tuning. I just don't know if in my application if I would be justified in spending the extra money; because honestly this truck ain't gonna see much for upgrades beyond a hacked out muffler and a 6637.

·
Banned
920 Posts
Flyboy: The main reason is because 1) custom tunes are made to YOUR truck and PCM code not a one size fits all type deal 2) You can have up to 6 settings on the fly. The box tuners you need to stop turn key off, turn on, wait up to 15 min and then go to change tunes. 3) If you want a different tune you can send it back and have a reburn for something else!

Now you don't HAVE to get all six tunes and the price goes by how many tunes you want! Tonys chip starts at 300 and the 1st position is included, every add tune( 2-6) is 25.00 for the tune. I've had many people just order 3 tunes. If you ever wanted more you just pay the difference.

·
live for the now
2,435 Posts
i bought my e99 with the intention of just doing exhaust and intake. i did them, and loved it... then i got bored with the power output. so then i ordered a Tony Wildman tuned TS....

go for it, you wont regret it. btw i have 268,000 miles on mine

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
With a custom chip you will make your transmission a lot happier than just picking a off the shelf programmer... You don't have to have a ton of mods to run a chip I dare say 90% of the people running a chip have nothing more than exhaust,intake and gauges...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Its funny you should be concerned about cost because up here in B.C (Canada) were i live the generic tuner and programmers (edge,bulldog,superchips etc.) are all 800-1500$ . Were as it cost me only 400$ to order a 6 position chip from a custom tune vendor in the states. So for me it actually cost a lot less to get custom tuning than generic. Also if your concerned about too much power through the transmission just get a daily driver setting and tow setting on the chip etc. SO you get a nice boost in power and economy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If your biggest concern is the transmission, you should probably stay away from tuners. Well actually even if you weren't concerned about it, you should still stay away. Apparently it's not so much the actual motor tuning that is horrible on the Edge... it's how it behaves with the tranny. Many people have reported fairly large drops in transmission temperatures when going from their Edge to a custom chip. And the 4R100 hates heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts