Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother has an 02 250 4x4 extended cab on 35's and his fuel mileage is about 14 at the best. he has a dp turner installed and tried all settings and babied it, 14 is all she wrote. what is some more adders he can put on or change what he has to get better mpg. he also has 5" turbo back exhaust:confused:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Intake and gears!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Cheapest would be propane, depending on the programer type he might even be able to have a propane specific economy tune.
I forgot about this:doh: but that works wonders for some:thumb:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by the time u buy the propane is it really cheaper? how often do u have to get the tank refilled

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
by the time u buy the propane is it really cheaper? how often do u have to get the tank refilled
Depends on how the person is using it. Some use it in small quantites to improve low rpm fuel economy as the propane creates a more complete burn. In this instance, yes you will spend some on the propane but you will save money overall. Others inject larger amounts as a power adder. In this case, yes your fuel economy will go up but you will end up spending more overall.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advise everyone. one more thing though, is there anyone out there getting 18 or better on their 7.3 I recommended the 250 extended cab to my brother because i thought it being lighter would get better mileage than my 350 crewcab dually, but he actually gets worse than i do. Is it possible to get better than 18mpg on diesel only? Has anyone had luck getting good mileage on a DP Tuner chip, could that be his problem?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
my stock 97 250 regular cab can pull 18-20 on the highway

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My brother has an 02 250 4x4 extended cab on 35's and his fuel mileage is about 14 at the best. he has a dp turner installed and tried all settings and babied it, 14 is all she wrote. what is some more adders he can put on or change what he has to get better mpg. he also has 5" turbo back exhaust:confused:
hey this is an easy one:
1 Remove the 35's
2 Unlift it,
3 go back to an airodynamically smooth wheel
4 tuck the tires back into the fender by removing the offset on the wheels
5 use a smaller tread tire

please post a picture so i can see if my guesses are correct.:):):)

·
Registered
674 Posts
the most i ever get by calculating it myself is 12-14. a friend of mine with an 02 F350 says he gets 18-19 mixed, i just have to call his BS because i'm not seeing it when his truck is all stock with just a predator tuner, and a slipping trans. and i have an intake/exhaust billet torque converter that has a lower stall and a wildman chip. although i never drive highway, just city with some mix for me. the one time i did drive all the way up north and back i got 21 mpg. one of my bosses 6.0 F350 only gets 14mpg as well

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
hey this is an easy one:
1 Remove the 35's
2 Unlift it,

Yeah just don`t forget to put the aarp sticker in the window after that :hehe:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 1999 7.3 got around 18 in town and 25 on the road. Let Ford talk me into trading it in on the new 2004 6.0 when it came out and what a mistake that was. Got around 14 in town and 16 on the road. Traded it in on a new 2009 6.4 and it got around 15 in town and 18 on the road. I am picking up a new 2013 6.7 tomorrow and hope to see at least 15 in town and 18 on the road with it. I wish I still had the 99. Best truck I have had as far as economy.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
hey this is an easy one:
1 Remove the 35's
2 Unlift it,

Exactly what i was thinking ^^^.

"My truck use to get 18MPG, but now it only gets 12.":doh: But it looks better getting 12, then it did getting 18.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2013 MPG

Got my new 2013 and the first tank I put through it got 15.5 (by hand) and the second one is about half way through and the idiot gauge says it is getting 14.5. Only has about 750 miles on it so far.

My 1999 7.3 got around 18 in town and 25 on the road. Let Ford talk me into trading it in on the new 2004 6.0 when it came out and what a mistake that was. Got around 14 in town and 16 on the road. Traded it in on a new 2009 6.4 and it got around 15 in town and 18 on the road. I am picking up a new 2013 6.7 tomorrow and hope to see at least 15 in town and 18 on the road with it. I wish I still had the 99. Best truck I have had as far as economy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think there is also a difference in those that have a 4x4 drivetrain and use it in colder climates. There is a lot of parasitic drag under those conditions.

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts