Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a lot of reading tonight I'm very lost and I'm not lost let me explain. My truck has been having starting issues. When its cold it cranks a bit then starts, once it warms up it cranks like a ***** and then stutters to a start. My ficm board was going out here lately like the voltage was going up and down a lot so I sent the board into ficm repair.com to get fixed. Got it back today and was hoping that solved the starting issue. Nope. Also I just changed my icp sensor less than 50 miles ago and after doing some reading I went out to the truck and disconnected my icp sensor truck fired right up could this be bad already or could something else be killing this sensor could my board being bad have killed the new sensor before I sent it in idk I'm lost and running outta money lol to keep throwing parts out there within the last few weeks I bought new altenator new batteries new icp sensor fixed ficm and now looks like I'm buying another icp sensor but before I do just want to know if I'm missing something. Thanks everyone who responds. Also would a bad icp cause I feeling of a little less power idk 06 f250 cc lariat fx4 73003miles

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Anything is possible, was it a motorcraft part. Maybe the pigtail is worn out, but I guess that would be hard to assume being on the front of the valve cover.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I drive the truck without that sensor plugged in

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Can I drive the truck without that sensor plugged in

I dont think so. That sensor is essential for fuel management.

·
Registered
293 Posts
recheck your connections on the ficm

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was motorcraft bought directly from the dealership that's one exspensive freaking little dude

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe your pigtail is bad, or your harness is chafed somewhere along the line. Hard to find usually, considering you changed the sensor twice, I'd go with harness/pigtail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but, would a bad icp cause you to lose oil pressure? My buddies truck was running rough, bucking and surging at redlights and what not. It finally died on him yesterday. The truck does not have oil pressure.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but, would a bad icp cause you to lose oil pressure? My buddies truck was running rough, bucking and surging at redlights and what not. It finally died on him yesterday. The truck does not have oil pressure.
Eric, I sent you a pm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am not 100% sure that is what the problem is. But i am 98% sure it is. I had to leave out of state for my job and have not got a chance to try the new part that came in the day i left. Yours should be easy to find out very quickly. I just disconnected mine (after taking all the stuff to get to it. 03 early build) and it started right up. No problems idling or starting. It actually ran great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Disconnected my ICP. It also runs great. Have had it off for about 4 days. No problems. Just check engine light is on. Does that signify a bad ICP? Just had it put in about 3 months ago. Does anyone know if it will cause any other damage by leaving it disconnected???

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I do not know what it may hurt or not but your truck is running on a default setting. If nothing else you should be getting some performance hit and some poor fuel mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, it's a box truck. Never been much on performance. Never got over 11 MPG either. I'm just happy it's not surging anymore. If I didn't keep a firm brake pedal at red lights, it would have a tendency to lurch thru the intersection. Loads of fun. If anyone knows for sure it's the ICP again I would appreciate a heads up.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Lurching, definetly sounds like icp or pigtail/harness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll try the pigtail, although it is dry and clean. I've had this problem since it had 4oo miles. If that's not it I'll try another sensor. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I'll try the pigtail, although it is dry and clean. I've had this problem since it had 4oo miles. If that's not it I'll try another sensor. Thanks.
Maybe further down the line on the harness somewhere, those things are hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to do the ICP connector for the heck of it, but if it's still the same after that I'd be looking at the IPR. I've had goofy surging issues that were more IPR issues then ICP. The PCM takes ICP readings and uses this to determine IPR%. If you have an IPR acting up then the PCM is constantly changing the duty cycle % to the IPR in an effort to get the right ICP readings, causing the surge. Disconnecting the ICP sensor causes it to just go into a default mode where it doesn't pay attention to the fluctuating ICP readings, which is why it will run smoother with the ICP disconnected. Normally I would try replacing the ICP sensor first but since you've already done that to no affect I'd be looking at the IPR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts