Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on here but haven't found any definite answers so help me out please. If I have read between the line correctly the ICP pressure at idle (early 99 7.3) should be about 700 psi and at wot it should be 2400 to 2600 for ok and 2600 to 2800 for the best. This sound about right?:dunno:

·
Registered
556 Posts
My HPOP gauge on my 01 reads 400psi at idle and will spike to 3100psi before setteling at 2800psi when I'm on the pedal. Thats with a stock 17* pump, IIRC the e99 has a 15* pump.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 17* from Terminator in the mail as we speak:thumb: My truck has been acting funny so I was going to get some pressure readings now and then after the new pump.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
My ICP is about 600 at idle and goes from there.

Anywhere from 2600-3000 at WOT is acceptable. Your more concerned with duty cycle...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have read on here but haven't found any definite answers so help me out please. If I have read between the line correctly the ICP pressure at idle (early 99 7.3) should be about 700 psi and at wot it should be 2400 to 2600 for ok and 2600 to 2800 for the best. This sound about right?:dunno:

I posted about a week ago on some AE readings with no replies. My E99 ICP readings seem to be all over the place at idle it fluctuates from 461-502 and WOT i have hit high 2800's but usually between high 2400'S to high 2600's

ICP Duty cycle at idle 8.98 jumps to 9.37 with nothing in between.

I've been searching for acceptable AE Perdel readings(for all tests thus far only found ICP and Cylinder rotation)

Don't know if this helps :dunno:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted about a week ago on some AE readings with no replies. My E99 ICP readings seem to be all over the place at idle it fluctuates from 461-502 and WOT i have hit high 2800's but usually between high 2400'S to high 2600's

ICP Duty cycle at idle 8.98 jumps to 9.37 with nothing in between.

I've been searching for acceptable AE Perdel readings(for all tests thus far only found ICP and Cylinder rotation)

Don't know if this helps :dunno:

Thanks:thumb:from what I have been reading your pressure is dead on!:nod:

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Correct,

Basically at idle youll see around 500psi at idle.. and up to 4000psi at WOT

anything over 4000psi will pop the Valve for over pressure..

if it fails it will default to 4100 etc to allow the truck to still run..

Now the reason you see it spike is the ICP is the desired and the IPR is the regulated reading in the head..those 2 numbers have to be within so much of eachother.. at WOT 3000psi is still good numbers..thats 21 000psi fuel pressure in the cylinder lol its working great!

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/vehicles/diesel/schematics/HighPressurePumpSupplementDiagnostics.pdf

have a read too..helps for diag!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct,

Now the reason you see it spike is the ICP is the desired and the IPR is the regulated reading in the head..those 2 numbers have to be within so much of eachother.. at WOT 3000psi is still good numbers..thats 21 000psi fuel pressure in the cylinder lol its working great!

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/vehicles/diesel/schematics/HighPressurePumpSupplementDiagnostics.pdf

Thanks! I will do some reading on this and get back to you. I think I understand now that the IPR helps build the pressure, kind of like a fuel preaaure regulator but got to figure out how to test it now.Thats still foggy to me.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Correct,

Anything above 2600psi is fine at WOT... You will find VERY few trucks that will hit 3000psi at WOT.

Duty cycle is a mesurment of how hard your pump is working... 6% is not very hard, 50% is working hard... Anything over 60% or so is all the pump will do.

Reactions: DieselSVT

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Forgive my stupidity:doh: but how do you measure the duty cycle?:dunno: 6% up to 50%?
You need some kind of a scan tool to watch duty cycle, be it Auto Enginuity or a Scan Gauge...

Here is a quick video that shows ICP and duty cycle.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Another one just sitting at idle...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need some kind of a scan tool to watch duty cycle, be it Auto Enginuity or a Scan Gauge...

YouTube - 54% duty cycle
I get it now! Last question, How do I get one of those gages in that video?!?! :drool::drool::drool:That would be perfect (if you can run that non stop)

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Its a scan gauge. I believe some of the vendors here can get them.

And yes, its connected all the time in my truck and my wifes Excursion.

·
Beach Bum
26,655 Posts

YouTube - 54% duty cycle
ok thats the next gauge im getting. ive seen it before in person but didnt want to spend the $$$. i think i will now

at wot im not really seeing above 2700-2800. im on the te 17* atm now.

idle is in the mid 400s

oh do you have a rough idle ?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Using the Scan Guage 2 in my 2000 7.3L my ICP pressure will go as low as 445 when I let off the throttle and sometimes with light acceleration, the truck runs fine, i'm just curious if that low of ICP Pressure can hurt something?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts