Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos a member of a local? How does it go over with the city? Were ya in when it started?

We gettin one started and there are some ill feelings from both some members and some city officials. We arent goin after collective bargining or anything like that.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, its official!
Local 4698 Brady, Tx.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
but as a representitave told me a couple weeks ago "I am not welcome to join, because Im volunteer"

You will find that the Die Hard union guys are very much against volunteers because they feel like everyone should have a paid dept. We all know that its just not possible everywhere. I am full time professional firefighter, but respect and admire the work the volunteers do. Especially since they do it for free!!

To answer the original question?

Beaumont Tx Local 399 here. There are things I love about the union. Things we would never have without the union. But there are times the union gets a little "radical" on certain issues, but thats just something you have to work with. But it is definitely better going to the city as a united group. WE have had rough times in the past with the city, but are working on building a good relationship with our city leaders. Its not always easy. I would say our biggest steps were made when we got actively involved on the politics of city management. We put alot of work into backing some strong candidates during election time. It helps to have people on the other side of the table that share your concerns. We are also trying to help our city leaders to understand that we really do want to work with them, and that are we are not the greedy bastards they all think we are. LOL

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will find that the Die Hard union guys are very much against volunteers because they feel like everyone should have a paid dept. We all know that its just not possible everywhere. I am full time professional firefighter, but respect and admire the work the volunteers do. Especially since they do it for free!!

To answer the original question?

Beaumont Tx Local 399 here. There are things I love about the union. Things we would never have without the union. But there are times the union gets a little "radical" on certain issues, but thats just something you have to work with. But it is definitely better going to the city as a united group. WE have had rough times in the past with the city, but are working on building a good relationship with our city leaders. Its not always easy. I would say our biggest steps were made when we got actively involved on the politics of city management. We put alot of work into backing some strong candidates during election time. It helps to have people on the other side of the table that share your concerns. We are also trying to help our city leaders to understand that we really do want to work with them, and that are we are not the greedy bastards they all think we are. LOL
OLD THREAD REVIVAL!!
:)
Local 35, North Little Rock, AR. Don't get me started on unions.

DOH! forgot to add that I agree with most of what he said.

·
Registered
265 Posts
IAFF here as we'll. The union is a good thing, especially when your local's leadership are in good with senior staff and city council. We do two year contracts here, which is pretty much the norm.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Local 372. LB, CA

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm in AZ and a member of Local 4005. We have a strong union and have 100% participation. It has been an excellent experience with my department so far and our MOU is outstanding.

Whos a member of a local? How does it go over with the city? Were ya in when it started?

We gettin one started and there are some ill feelings from both some members and some city officials. We arent goin after collective bargining or anything like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We are part of IAFF here too. Our city still doesn't recognize us yet though. We have quite the uphill battle when the city changes city mangers about every 2 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts