Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone my uncle has this F100 4x4 Automatic (i think) that is very well stored... blown engine or tranny. I would like to buy it ($800) from him with the intent of dropping a 7.3 or 12 valve Cummins in it. Any suggestions or comments? Has anyone done this conversion? Thanks in advance!:icon_ford:

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I havent done it but the PSD would be sweet. Everyone seems to do the Cummins!

·
Registered
173 Posts
that would be an awesome setup. id imagine the cummins would be easier and cheaper as you can find a 1st gen dodge complete fairly cheep

·
Registered
125 Posts
i did a 7.3 into a 95 F150 so i could help a little, otherwise check out fummins.com
I have a 95 F150 just waiting for me to give some love to. I would love to make her a PSD. how did the swap go?? pretty simple?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah ...... I would like to throw in the PSD ..... but like you all said, Cummins is a little more common and more available, atleast around my area. I will post the pic of the truck soon. If i dont buy it maybe u can have dibs on it.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Be carefull with california and their smog requirements if you plan to drive it on the road. I believe if the vehicle came with a gas motor in it then you have to meet the requirements which might be dificult with a diesel.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
that would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deff. do a 7.3 and mod it all out! there is way more 12 valve conversions than there is 7.3. i say go with the 7.3

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
The suspension won't hold it in stock form.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am thinking also it is to much weight for the stock suspension. I think the 4bt cummins would be alright though, they mod pretty well too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if you go with the 4b, the suspension and axles should be ok, even with the modded engine. but with the 6b, you should get some heavier springs, at least, for the front. if you leave the 6b in near stock form your axles should live. i believe its probably a 44 in front and a 9 inch out back, yezno?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yepp! Damn California and their smog!!:doh: I didnt think bout that:dunno:
So assuming i succesfully threw my diesel engine in the gasser, what next with the smog issue? I do live in Ca. and I live in the city. Id hate to get thru all that and not be able to drive it on the road. Does a 79 require smog?

·
Super Moderator
3,942 Posts
I too have an overwhelming desire to buy an old Ford and drop a diesel into it. Keep us posted!!

Here is an old Ford that my brother has that is a rustbucket but it sure would be sweet to fix it up and drop a Cummins or 7.3 in it!!!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
be a perfect diesel rat rod. weve got an old chevy 3100series dump id like o throw a 12v in it and mod it all to hell. no need for smog on a 40 somethin modle year. keg fuel tank and all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I too have an overwhelming desire to buy an old Ford and drop a diesel into it. Keep us posted!!

Here is an old Ford that my brother has that is a rustbucket but it sure would be sweet to fix it up and drop a Cummins or 7.3 in it!!!

Wow that would be cool as hell.... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts