Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Intermittent (tea kettle) whistle, Idle whislte, RPM vary whistle=Check up pipe for cracks. Alot of people jump right to head gaskets but I can say I saved 4 people on this sight just telling them to check it.

When you get done with what you got to do it needs a sticky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
one problem with the spead sheets....what about my 2003 6.0 psd is overloading on fuel...top end has awesome power...idle knocks and clacks

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Q: I install new tires and they are bald in a month?

A: Take foot off of the skinny pedal!

Could not resist a joke.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey Bismc,
Hoping to join in on this and get a copy of the spreadsheet as well.
Thanks!

[email protected]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bismc,

Like everyone else can I get a copy of those spread sheets, they sound like a great thing to have handy!
:yourock: for having this available!!!

[email protected]

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Could one of the administrators make the spreadsheet a sticky....?:sign0096:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bismc,

Those spreadsheets are AMAZING!!!!! I can't thank you enough for them!!!!
:noteworthy:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Q: HOW DO I TEST FICM VOLTAGE?

A:***FICM voltage tests should be performed with the engine oil COLD (ie, close to ambient air temperature). This will force the FICM into it's inductive heating strategy, which will give you a worse case scenario/voltage reading. If the engine has been run (within 5-6 hours of this test), then the warm engine oil may not give you an accurate FICM voltage.

On all 2003-2007 Ford 6.0L Power Stroke diesel engines you will find the FICM bolted to the drivers side valve cover...you may need to unbolt the coolant reservoir from the 'cowl' so that you can get your arms/hands back there to work on the FICM.You don't need to drain the coolant...just unbolt the bracket that hold the coolant reservoir, and gently move it as far out of your way as possible. Be careful, as there is a plastic coolant connector that can be cracked if the coolant jug is handled forcefully.

On the top of the FICM, you will see a diamond/oval shaped metal plate...remove the two screws from that plate (Torx#20).

under that plate you will either see 7 "lugs"...or 4 "lugs" (depending on the year of the truck)...

if you have a "7 lug FICM"...you want to put one lead from your multimeter onto the upper left "lug"...and the other multimeter probe to ground (bare spot on the cylinder head, alternator bracket, negative battery terminal, etc).If you have a "4 lug FICM"...you will want to check the lug on the right (closest to the drivers side fender).

be careful NOT to lean the probe on the FICM lug...over onto the aluminum case...you might let the smoke out, LOL...

Have someone turn the key to the 'on' position (don't crank it yet)...and see what your FICM voltage is. It should be >46volts.

Next have someone crank the engine...and see what the FICM voltage is while cranking...again..should be >46volts.

Go ahead and start the engine...and see what the voltage is while idling.

If the FICM voltage drops below 46 volts...then it is "bad"... SWAMPSDIESEL

·
Premium Member
35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would also like a copy of the spreadsheet if possible. Thanks in advance --- John

[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
21 - 40 of 271 Posts