Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions.... My relatively stock 6.0 runs hotter than most, best as I can tell. The other day while towing 10,000 up a moderate grade on a 85 degree day the idiot gauge got up to within 1/8 of an inch from the top white line, near the red. It has over 150,000 and this is the hottest its ever been. The fan was NOT screaming like it usually does when over 218-220. I have had three thermostats over the years. I guess the best place to start is with a new thermostat. Because I'm leaving for a month to Idaho, again towing 10,00, I think it might be time to change out the water pump, fan clutch, and perhaps fan itself (if necessary).

So I'm looking for suggestions for the following:
1. Thermostat - should I replace with an OEM Ford one? I have seen a Fujimoto one with a opening temp and have been wondering about that one.
2. Fan - should I go with what I have or????
3. Water Pump - OEM or ? Dieselstop has a reasonably priced one with a steel impeller and lifetime warranty. BPD seems very pricey. Other
thoughts?
4. Clutch - OEM or ? Electric or mechanical? Brand?

The caveats in all this is I dont want a continual fan roar, and I need to keep my expenses under control (fixed income, ya know)

Any help along the lines of a complete package recommendations would be very, very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
no fuji or mishimoto parts is my suggestion.

if you do a fan clutch I would get the slightly more aggressive one from ford for the snow plow package or try the blue wire mod that lets you flick the fan to full lock on hills

do you monitor oil temps ?

have you checked your coolers for debris ?

I have the BPD water pump because I truly love spending a bit more for their top shelf parts and service and contributing to a company that continues to support these vehicles and this site

that being said the Diesel site pump should be fine

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What are you monitoring your temps with?

1.) OEM is what most are going to say. (At least the ones that I trust most on here)
2.) Not sure what you are asking here.
3.) Again most will say the BPD is the best way to go but from most of what I can deduce from reading alot of threads like this is as long as you got the metal impeller you should be ok and Dieselstop is a reputable company.
4.) If your clutch is ok then some say to try the Blue wire mod where you can have a bit more control over kicking the fan on or off.

Also I thought you had asked about most of this in another thread, did it not get answered? Not answered the way you wanted? Or am I just falsely remembering (very possible)?

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
119 Posts
mddistributorsstore I have bought much from them and have been happy with the price and quality. The steel impeller water pump was $60 and my towing water temps dropped.
Keep the stock ECU controlled fan clutch but make sure it’s working properly. Make sure condenser and radiator are clear and clean. Make sure all shields and rubber pieces are in place around the radiator. Engine stator in place. No gold antifreeze

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,925 Posts
I second ZMANN's recommendation for the snow plow clutch, although it can cost you about 1 mpg.

Now ...... where did that stator go .....

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Has been asked but do you monitor and what do you monitor with? First thing I would do is diag what your issue really is.

1. Check and compare ECT, EOT, and Trans Temp sensors on a cold soak (>12hrs without the truck being run). They should all be within a degree or two of each other.

2. If any are way out to lunch from the others, focus your efforts there. If they all read within a degree or two of each other, continue troubleshooting fan clutch to make sure it's coming on.

-jokester

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I agree with the fan clutch being replaced, especially with a "heavy service" fan clutch. Unless you have knowledge that, the water pump isn't working, replacing it would be "preventative maintenance", but it's behind the fan clutch so... The fan itself shouldn't need to be replaced, if it broken, then yes, at least they're cheap (6.0 cheap, not dollar store cheap). Good coolant is a must. That fan stator should be disposed of like a dirty diaper, keep the radiator shroud though.

In short, put a heavy service fan clutch on, do the "blue wire" mod as a "backup plan" and anything else as preventative..... Carrying a spare thermostat won't hurt and they're really easy to change.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are you monitoring your temps with?

1.) OEM is what most are going to say. (At least the ones that I trust most on here)
2.) Not sure what you are asking here.
3.) Again most will say the BPD is the best way to go but from most of what I can deduce from reading alot of threads like this is as long as you got the metal impeller you should be ok and Dieselstop is a reputable company.
4.) If your clutch is ok then some say to try the Blue wire mod where you can have a bit more control over kicking the fan on or off.

Also I thought you had asked about most of this in another thread, did it not get answered? Not answered the way you wanted? Or am I just falsely remembering (very possible)?
#2 - I am asking if there is a better fan....I have seen references to a 7.3 fan on the forum (as I recall)

if you do a fan clutch I would get the slightly more aggressive one from ford for the snow plow package or try the blue wire mod that lets you flick the fan to full lock on hills

I have the BPD water pump because I truly love spending a bit more for their top shelf parts and service and contributing to a company that continues to support these vehicles and this site

I monitor eot and ect. the delta is almost always below 10, but on rare occasions cresting a big hill it will go to 12-13 for very short while GZ

i do monitor oil and coolant temps. havent found a pid for trans oil temp
Has been asked but do you monitor and what do you monitor with? First thing I would do is diag what your issue really is.

1. Check and compare ECT, EOT, and Trans Temp sensors on a cold soak (>12hrs without the truck being run). They should all be within a degree or two of each other.

2. If any are way out to lunch from the others, focus your efforts there. If they all read within a degree or two of each other, continue troubleshooting fan clutch to make sure it's coming on.

-jokester
have done the cold check on engine oil and coolant-- tthey are usually equal or 1 degree diff. as yet havent found a pid for trans temp so cant check that

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Also what you are hearing about the 7.3 addition is the mechanical fan clutch not the fan itself.

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,112 Posts
I put the dieselsite pump in mine and it was leaking 2 years later. Go with BPD.

Reactions: jokester00

·
7,925 Posts
My water pump from BPD leaked also, but I had one of the very first ones from them. IMO they are a company that continually improves their product. I replaced my first BPD water pump with another one from them and am very pleased.

Besides liking the BPD products, I guess my other point is that nothing (and no company) is going to have an absolutely perfect record.

·
7,925 Posts
OBDFusion has a very nice gauge package. Seems to be accurate on the PID data (some scan devices aren't). Will it show the fan speed (rpm) and fan clutch % duty cycle?

It is unfortunate that it doesn't seem to retrieve the transmission fluid temp. That helps in the assessment of proper cooling as does the fan speed and duty cycle. From what I read, you can't custom program PIDs with the OBDFusion like you can with Torque Pro and ScangaugeII. Is that correct?

Several "sidebar" questions (just curious):
Will it show FICM MPower and LPower? I would think that it would.
Will it do the injector buzz test?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
several comments about the stator. some said to remove it, some said to keep it. heck, i dont even know what it is, much less where it is. so, if i ever find it to i replace it or take it off?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I second ZMANN's recommendation for the snow plow clutch, although it can cost you about 1 mpg.

Now ...... where did that stator go .....
what the heck is the stator? and where? and do i keep it or get rid of it? thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts