Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2005 F250 Harley and there has a been a check engine light so I used my SCT Tuner to see what the problem was and it gave me the code: P0675 Cylinder 5 Glow Plug Circuit Open, which I don't think it's that big of a problem to replace/repair. Then, I tried to "Clear the DTC" to see if it gets rid of engine light and it deleted it successfully. Also, I forgot to mention, I've noticed that I recently been running low on my battery levels as well and need to replace them soon (according to State Farm In-Drive device). Does using the SCT Tuner drain the battery? Whenever it says to Turn Key On, I turn the key to the position where you have to wait for the little coil--glow plug light (and other lights) to go away (since it's a Diesel) before starting the engine. Is this the right position when it says to "turn to key on" and does it use the battery during this?? Now, after deleting the DTC, the battery is drained and the instrument lights as well as the door/interior light flickers when I turn the key on to the coil position and the engine won't even start at all. However, when I turn the key back to the OFF or "accessory" position, the automatic door light turns on and this light is strong and stable with no flickering.

-->Does this mean one of my batteries (the one to the ignition) was drained from using the SCT Tuner and has to be replaced??
I was able to start the engine with no problems before using the SCT Tuner, but now the engine won't even start!--this was only a day ago or so and I used the SCT Tuner just now today

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
What troubleshooting have you done?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
You need get two new batteries they work as a pair.

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea thanks I'm going to try replacing the batteries in the next couple days...good thing I live down the street from an auto shop or I would have to push it or get a tow truck lol.

Can the SCT tuner itself disable the engine? Like if I delete a DTC code, could that potentially not start the engine? sorry im a noob

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Unplug the battery cables and plug them back in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need get two new batteries they work as a pair.

I need two batteries? The light doesnt flicker when the key is in the off position or ACC. only when its at the ON position before starting the engine (when glow plug light goes away). you think just my ignition battery needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is no ignition battery...both batteries work together. When the key is turned on the batteries are heavily taxed...they are running the glow plugs for roughly 30 seconds. You should have a monitor on your truck to watch the voltage. Don't trust your auto parts store to decide if your batteries are good, the load test they do is good for gassers but our trucks need huge cca's, and a good strong voltage, especially in the winter...I'd bet your batteries just kicked the bucket because you were key on-key off a few times with the sct. Get new ones and you'll be running again....oh and replace them both...Even if one is bad and the other good, you'll want to replace both or you'll ruin the new one. Good luck.

·
Island Dweller
1,300 Posts
Ill just add that even if when the glow plug light goes off they are still on up to two minutes.

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Administrator
22,018 Posts
I need two batteries? ?
I'm beginning to question your knowledge and the condition of the truck.

I know you believe the tuner is to blame, but I can almost guarantee there are other factors in play.

So even though we are chasing a battery, the reality is a lot of things could cause a no start.

That said... yes... you need two strong batteries.... not one new and one good, or two good used batteries.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I need two batteries? The light doesnt flicker when the key is in the off position or ACC. only when its at the ON position before starting the engine (when glow plug light goes away). you think just my ignition battery needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm beginning to question your knowledge and the condition of the truck.

I know you believe the tuner is to blame, but I can almost guarantee there are other factors in play.

So even though we are chasing a battery, the reality is a lot of things could cause a no start.

That said... yes... you need two strong batteries.... not one new and one good, or two good used batteries.
Yea, well like I said I'm a tool when it comes to fixing vehicles lol...I don't know anything about diagnosing or working on cars/trucks. Plus, I only had this truck for a little over a year.

The truck was able to start with no problems before using the tuner then during the process of using the tuner it just died. It had a P0675 (cylinder 5 glow plug circuit open) code....could deleting codes cause the engine to not start?

·
Registered
143 Posts
It sounds like there is definitely more than a battery issue. This thread is like trying to diagnose a car issue with my wife over the phone... . Tow it it to a shop, then let us know know what they say.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Now that you've admitted you dont know what you're doing... I hope you're happy, you broke something!:hehe:
As stated earlier in the thread, address your battery issue. Replace both, not just one. Do you replace wipers one at a time? No, because they work as a pair.
When you were fiddling with the SCT device, are you positive you didnt accidently start loading a tune or something and then unplug it or key off while it was in the middle? That can really screw the PCM.
You might want to start reading all of the info in the SCT stickies found in the "6.0 general discussion" section

1 - 15 of 15 Posts